The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Massey 550
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought y'all might be interested in this.
If it doesn't work log into Facebook, on Marketplace set distance to 500 Miles, search "4994 Prototype"

·
Registered
276 Posts
Looks as though its sitting in a salvage yard, hence, was probably sold for salvage price. And having only been used at the Case factory, it certainly appears to have some "field" experience. And is it close enough to the production model for the sake of parts availability? Back when the White combine plant in Brantford had their bankruptcy auction, there was a fully-functioning White 9500 self-propelled prototype on the block which barely brought an "insult bid", reason being their was never a parts book published for the machine, even though it was close to what eventually became the Massey 8570.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Not sure about it being an inching clutch, when you depressed it the rpms dropped and jumped 50-100 instantly. Really friendly to the gearbox on pto equipment. Also if memory from 40 yrs. ago serves me, it dropped the trans from 3rd to first if the clutch was depressed fully.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Yes those tractors had 4 ranges, and then 1-3 powershift in each range, plus reverse. Pushing the clutch would drop the powershift back to 1, which might have been the reason for the rpm bounce. On the earlier series, the linkage between the clutch and powershift was mechanical so you could drop a gear simply by pressing the clutch pedal a little ways. At some point they made the powershift work electronically. We ran a 4690 for many years. 4690 was always a rough shifter, which meant a lot of us kids bonking heads on the back window! The 4 wheel steering was interesting and occasionally crab steering was useful. I recall it had quite a power hop when it started slipping. That could have been due to bias ply tires.

Back then John Deere was quite a cadillac in comparison to these machines. Was quite a step forward when we could afford a John Deere 4wd 8450. Smooth shifting, smooth driving, comfy cab! I don't think any subsequent machine was quite as smooth riding as that 8450 with it's pivoting front axle.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I will never understand the hate towards 70, 90 and 94 series Case's. Its unlikely we will ever have a cheaper cost of ownership then those tractors gave us.
You obviously, had a good relationship with them. That is good. Some didn't, that is why there are differing opinions.

Me, I would rent a mule first, well maybe not. :)

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,943 Posts
I spent thousands hrs in those things with the twin disc. ZF diffs
Great tractor in it’s day. Father had two.
One for ploughing and one married permanently to the laser bucket.
Very reliable except for the silly rear wheel sensors. I have an old Scania truck now with that same motor in it. Simple mechanical strong motor

·
Registered
927 Posts
Those old Case tractors had to be treated with silk gloves. The pto if used with tractor in reverse gear would be the end of the tranny or pto in a short time. You could not press the clutch under heavy load in 3rd shift if so eventually would be the end of the tranny. For smooth shifts you would do it with the motor below 1200 rpm. If you using on a pto combine you tried not to powershift it while pto was engaged. If treated very gentle you could get good service from that tractor, I know we had a couple top 7000 hrs. The motors were good on the tractors, had one reach over 12000 hrs.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Those old Case tractors had to be treated with silk gloves. The pto if used with tractor in reverse gear would be the end of the tranny or pto in a short time. You could not press the clutch under heavy load in 3rd shift if so eventually would be the end of the tranny. For smooth shifts you would do it with the motor below 1200 rpm. If you using on a pto combine you tried not to powershift it while pto was engaged. If treated very gentle you could get good service from that tractor, I know we had a couple top 7000 hrs. The motors were good on the tractors, had one reach over 12000 hrs.
you can reverse with the pto engaged, you can't leave it in reverse while doing stationary work pto or other wise. Find me a tractor of that era and I'll show you a weak point. Ih, the TA, Allis, don't start with the sun behind the clouds, white over/under, deere, a 4000 hour engine, case the powershift, everyone was bad at something.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
So it wasn't a bad tractor, namely because it had no major components that were made by Case? Scania engine, Twin disc powershift, ZF diffs?

Reminds me of the Magnum series, threw away every case component except the emblem in the steering wheel and the styling, and they were great tractors.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
you can reverse with the pto engaged, you can't leave it in reverse while doing stationary work pto or other wise. Find me a tractor of that era and I'll show you a weak point. Ih, the TA, Allis, don't start with the sun behind the clouds, white over/under, deere, a 4000 hour engine, case the powershift, everyone was bad at something.
What was weak about the over/under in White's? Have a fleet of them, a couple over 10,000 hours, one had a new output seal, never touched otherwise.

And they get shifted back to low every time the clutch gets pushed, and shifted back up under full load every time. Loader work, baler work, field work, loaded wagons at road speed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts