The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Case 7120 combine, starts to run hot after a hopper full coolant gets up to 220. If I let it run at half throttle for 5 min it cools down to 180. Clean air filter and blow radiators out every morning. Can see through the radiators. Installed new thermostat, tightened fan belts. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
501 Posts
The fan belt may need tightening more than book says, another 10 mm tight.
Might pay to wash the radiator as well, though it sounds clean

·
Registered
599 Posts
Get a temp gun on your idlers/pulleys too. If one is going bad and getting hot it can heat up the belt making it slip.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Check to make sure your fan belt is on properly and the pulleys aren’t worn. It’s actually really easy to not have the fan belt on properly and then it slips. To check for pulley wear try turning the fan backwards by hand and see if it slips anywhere. I just had to replace my crankshaft pulley this year.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Correct, it does have a spring, so you don't stop when the the spring is crushed

·
Registered
329 Posts
+1 on new fan belt. My 8010 started heated just like you stated. Would cool down to 180 at idle than ramp up and overheat within one round of harvesting. After I removed the belt I could see it was cracked and crazed. New one did the trick. Hope that is your easy fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try a new fan belt. Had an 8120 that would overheat with tight belts and a clean rad. New belt fixed it. Old belt was slipping as it had hardened.
Installed new fan belts, new ones seem to be riding higher on pulleys. Seems to be running cooler but has also been 15 Celsius cooler since new belts installed

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had that problem a few years back when we had our 7120. Blew the radiator out constantly and thought it was clean. Would run cool for a bit, then start overheating. Got worse as harvest went on. When harvest was over I pulled the radiator out and found it was almost completely plugged on the fan side were you couldn’t see through. Turns out the root cause of the problem ended up being the engine air filter air induction. When the dealer updated the air filter system, all the plastic hose clamps going on the dirty side of the air cleaner were loose. This lets the engine fan suck an insane amount of dust into the cooling package. When I put the radiator back in, I tightened all those air induction hose clamps and put a black loctite silicone around any joint there was. Including joints on the metal around the radiator packages, air induction, you name it, I sealed it. Would be a bugger to take apart again, but it never had heating issues or radiator plugging issues again for the 4 seasons I ran it after. I also put a course fine radiator in when I did it, although I don’t know that I would do that again. In really hot conditions under high load, it would run hotter than I liked, but not overheat. 210 if you pushed it really hard. I also had a Stienbauer chip in, so that didn’t help. Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts