The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a redekop chopper on a 8240 or 9240 case combine? Is it a lot better than the factory one with the whale tail spreader? Looking at some pictures it looks like you would have to drop the tail board down to drop the rear ladder down. When the redekop is added is the factory chopper rotor removed or left to act like a discharge beater?

·
Registered
12 Posts
we have it on 2 9240's. factory internal chopper is left in. wouldn't buy another one without it. ours were after market install. we grow lots of straw.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the factory internal chopper do you leave the knives on the rotor?

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
The difference between a Gen11 MAV & internal Case chopper/whale tail spreader ....... is like your first decent root!
Amazing ....... Don’t know why it’s so amazing .... but definitely want more of it!

Doing a factory fit MAV on my new 8250. Not cheap but works.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
With the factory internal chopper do you leave the knives on the rotor?
Just leave the internal chopper there, make sure the knife bar is down & run it in low ....... so it acts as a beater. You can even take the “chopper drive belt” off ....... you won’t need to run the internal chopper in high, so why have the belt running!

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,795 Posts
So why is there a massive difference from Rods to Chaddermd’s. It’s the same thing................
I have 2 older model MAVS and can’t keep belts on either of them. Not even chopping with them, just useing as a spreader/ beater

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
So why is there a massive difference from Rods to Chaddermd’s. It’s the same thing................
I have 2 older model MAVS and can’t keep belts on either of them. Not even chopping with them, just useing as a spreader/ beater
If you can't "keep belts on them" ....... I'd be seriously casting your eye (straight edge would be better) over the pulley alignment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hows the access to the sieve area with the redekop can you even get in there if you need to without taking something apart?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
have it on a 9250. NOT worth the money....biggest POS ever!
Let the haters hate.
It costs money to fix Fiats engineering screw ups.
Hanging a straw chopper in the middle of a combine never did work properly.
Not one bit sorry I bought a combine with a MAV chopper on it.
The quality of the chopping job is decent.
Like the neighbour said after he bought 2 MAV for his 2 1 year old CIH combines and dropped $60k on them none the less, boy that chopper makes a good job.
I'm like everybody else has known that for years.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Hows the access to the sieve area with the redekop can you even get in there if you need to without taking something apart?
Pretty easy. The later versions of MAV (Gen11) have a rack & rails it slides back on. Over-centre belt tightened, about 6 studs either side ..... & roll it back.
Theres enough room to replace all sieves - if you have to do that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I felt the magna cut on my 9240 chopped just as well and maybe didnt quite spread as far. But with this factory redekop on the 9250.....man, its like im running my 750 MF again with chaff build up in the back. After 5000 acres, blades and belts are shot. Chaff build up is so bad that after one hour of combining you can spend 20 minutes blowing **** out of it so you can close your steps again. Definitely not worth the money in my opinion. I wish I could have switched to standard cut with the spinners on the back, but I didnt think of the switch in time before the build

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
That's too bad you are having so much trouble with a new machine. Very frustrating. I have been running Redekop choppers for 25 years now and would say the aftermarket change up models have been very good. I did have one on a 1688 CIH and it involved the add on gearbox from the rotor drive because the Redekop chopper was at the very back instead of the one inside the body. It chopped well and I don't recall belt problems with it. Much better chopper than the stock CIH one. At that time Redekop was using bent hammers to create the extra air blast to spread wider than 20-25'. It must have been early 2000's when they started building the MAV, maximum air velocity by adding the big wind blades on the outer ends of the rotor. This extra air volume supplied huge air flow to the outer couple of fins to try to reach spread for the 30-40' headers that were becoming the norm. This MAV design seems to have taken over chopper design and my experience has been pretty positive with it. If there is any problem with MAV it has been controlling where the discharge from the 1 or 2 (single or twin rotor combine) separating rotors lands into the chopper rotor. That result is then evident in where the majority of straw gets chopped across the width of the rotor and discharges into the spread fins which in some conditions can cause more straw discharged in strips. After removing the stock discharge straw deflectors, I added my own adjustable ones that I could move while working and that helped to get an even spread across the whole width of cut. I also added a linear actuator to be able to raise and lower the tail board which works really well to increase or decrease the width of spread. This was great at night when the sun goes down and the tough straw would land in the standing crop and plug the knife on the end. Just the push of the button narrowed the spread and you could keep on going.

On the belt problem you are having, something must be out of line or the belts need a better guide so they do not bounce. In about 15 years I think I only changed one 3B power band. Lexion used 3 shorter belts from the drive up by the engine to the chopper. They had very good belt guides so the belts did not whip or jump off. We had all cereals and canola so always ran on high speed. In order to keep chopper knives sharp and cutting the straw fine, I would remove and sharpen the carbide blades when they got dull. Depending on what conditions were like maybe less than 1000 acres, but sharp knives must take a lot less power and be easier on the belts.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
We have a 2588 with a mav on it . It does chop nice , spreads into the standing crop or up to it depends on the wind, the time of day and maybe even the moon phase..But the pain the ass having to turn the rearwheels to swing it out of the way to inspect the seives or go up the ladder is a real pain. We've had plenty of expericence with the old models where the seive was to short to drop the chaff and straw on the spinners...Last spring we also bought a 2388 with the factory spinners on and a Redono chopper kit inside , just love it spreads all day maybe 18-23 ft , it chops 5 ft oat straw up into 3 inch pieces,but the best is the access to the engine and the seives not mention if you ever want to drop straw. We really think ours {Mav } is for sale it has 1400 hours on it,extra belts and just replaced the knives .. If someone would like it ???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone have a redekop chopper on a 8240 or 9240 case combine? Is it a lot better than the factory one with the whale tail spreader? Looking at some pictures it looks like you would have to drop the tail board down to drop the rear ladder down. When the redekop is added is the factory chopper rotor removed or left to act like a discharge beater?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts