The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys am new to the forum. Looking for some info on an atom jet kit on a 9280. Currently running a Morris contour with a variable rate cart. Installed an atom jet kit this winter am still not happy with the setup. Just wondering what some other people have had for experience? Is there possibly a better kit than the atom kit or should I have just traded tractors?

Thanks Shawn.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Have you had the factory hyd system pressure and flow tested? What pressure does it build? I recommend setting the pressure up to 2900-3000 psi like the 9300 series steigers (the pump and valves are the same). 9100-9200 series tractors used 2500 psi as a max pump pressure and some newer implements require more. One thing to keep in mind is that max flow is not available at max pressure, flow tapers off four to five hundred psi before max pressure is reached and pump flow becomes zero.

One important question is what are you not happy with in regards to your current hyd setup?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did set my pressures up to 2900 as well this winter. While running fan and drives on tractor hydraulics the up and down time is way too long and drags fan down. With the fan and drives on atom kit I have to run my tractor at 2300 to make enough fan speed. That is my biggest complaint is I have to scream the tractor all day long. I did find a bad diverter valve on cart this afternoon and can now get about 4800rpm on fan. Still don't like having tractor so high. Next step possibly running atom kit as well as one scv on tractor to allow me to back down engine speed?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it is an open center circuit that draws from the tractor reservoir. And yes that is what I'm running the fan on.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
This makes no sense, Auto Jet has there own resivoir and pump assy, it is a stand alone system, rpm wise I would assume at least 1800 rpm, Scott.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The kit that I have is the best kit atom jet makes for the tractor. It is an open center pump. Faster you spin in the more flow you get. It draws oil from the factory tank on tractor and returns it to there. What doesn't make sense?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Something doesn't sound right to me. The Atom Jet should be more than enough to run the fan by itself at idle. Did you try high flow couplers on the lines? Maybe the check valves on the female ends of the couplers are sticking a bit? I had that happen before and it wont let enough oil flow through, just took a flat blade screwdriver and gave it a little twist and it loosened up.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
My buddy said same thing have to run max rpm to get pump to flow enough atom jet kits are a complete rip off $1000 worth of parts and some brackets you have to modify yourself and they call it a kit and sell if for $5500. Your factory hyd should run a morris they take less flow than my seedmaster with dual fan cart and my cr1225 and 9180 can both run two fans at max rpm if needed

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have an atom jet on my old versatile and it's awesome. Have you talked to atom jet? When we've had problems they were very helpful. Have you looked into changing the pulleys so your pump runs faster at lower rpm?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran to town this morning and got a t line made up and am now sending flow from atom kit as well as a tractor scv down my pressure line. Problem solved. Can now set tractor at rpm I want to run at and then adjust the fan speed off the tractor. Definitely will never look at an atom kit again.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Atom jet told me I have the biggest kit possible for this tractor. 24.1 gpm is what she has available at 2700psi. Entire tractor system was gone through two yrs ago and this past winter I turned my pressures up to 2900. Now with the atom kit as well as an scv helping out the pressure side I can spin my fan to whatever speed I want as well as idle tractor back a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts