The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many may find this of interest, it has been reported in the automotive press that Fiat is seriously considering the sale of New Holland, Case and Iveco to fund the likely merger with Chrysler. This would likely cause titanic shifts once again in farm equipment business.

·
Registered
521 Posts
"Fiat Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne was blunt in his rejection of that idea, saying that selling such high-value assets “for the car side is really trying to put the donkey ass-backwards because the problematic business here is the car side.""

·
Registered
293 Posts
Good point farmer76, case would be losing alot of business of they dropped NH equipment. Anyways I thought New Holland bought CaseIH in the first place? I think they are a great pair together, so why change a good thing?

·
Registered
164 Posts
CIH pushing NH off NA market:
I don't think CIH will push NH off the NA market. Specially in hay implements. I see far more NH haying than CIH. Plus they dropped several of the CIH haying implements over the years. Silage cutters is the other one as well. Combines I think they got staying power. They been here in the States since the 60s. NH tractors is a different story. Our guys don't like their looks and don't buy them ugly things.

In my area CIH was pushed out by NH. No one in my area deals with CIH. Specially since the nearest dealer is over 2 hours away. And no one wants to loose a day's work over a parts run. Or something that need to be dealt with the dealer.

On topic:
To me I wouldn't mind seeing Fiat drop CNH. I think they should go back to their own ownership. Not being own by a car maker.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think its good that they are owned by fiat. Think about it, if the housing market is down there is no need for so much construction equipment, and so with farming and its equipment. Right now deere is in not so good of shape because of that, but he still has his engine market. Now where is fiat in the world picture? Way up. he makes everything. if one market sags the other will help out. he makes a heck of a good engine, apperently good cars, busses, heavy trucks, engines, farm equipment, construction equipment. etc etc.

·
Registered
588 Posts
What is one of the most important rules of business...buy low - sell high...right?

So, let's see, Fiat sells CNH for cash when the farm economy is making money and cash in on CNH's success and then they buy Chrysler for cents on the dollar. Plus you have added huge NA infrastructure, which is lacking for Fiat, and you stregthen your core business BIG time for the LONG haul.
Yea...what a stupid idea.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Drive by the old "New Holland" plant in Grand Island, NE and you'll see what I'm talking about. There's nothing left of that place tha signifies New Holland. The sign on the side of the building as well as the one by the highway says only Case IH, no mention of New Holland anywhere. The exterior has also been repainted to better compliment the Case IH brand. They always display a couple pieces of equipment on the front lawn by the highway as well. When the merger happened it was always a New Holland combine and a Case IH combine and maybe a NH or Case baler or swather. Now the displays are nothing by Case IH combines and Case IH swathers or balers. No more New Hollands put out there to look at.

I've been hearing it from people that work there for a while now. The talks of making both rotary lines red and called Case IH. As well as the red tractors getting the super steer front end which would probably mean bye bye to blue. It may not be too evident right now but just wait.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Great Silver: The Dodge diesel trucks have been using the 6.75L Iveco engine since the 2007 model year. The engine is just badged "Cummins" instead of Iveco in North America. Cummins is now buying the engines from Fiat/Iveco and then selling them to Chrysler.
I know, I have two, a 1994 and an 2007. The 2007 has more power, better fuel economy and is much, much quieter than the 1994 with the 5.9L Cummins. Both are good trucks.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hmm great motors them Iveco, I have a little one in my van (2.3) now turned 102000 miles and does not use a drop of oil from one service to another (every 18,000) very Pleased with it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.