The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question for anyone who has experience with the Case IH chopping corn head. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the corn head and if it's a good header for our operation. I would like to get an opinion from anyone who has used the chopping corn head. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The only item that I know of is that it is nice to disengage the chopping
system compared to other heads for custom work because some livestock farmers
like to chop there own stalks at the right dry day during harvest to make round bales.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Chopping head works great, the only problem I had was the end dividers are made of steel and very high, did not work in down corn. I have bought the rolling cone option for my head, I am told CNH will put on new plastic ends to replace.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a harvestec chopping corn head. Wondering if you guys with the case head have had any problems with some typs of corn taking in ALOT of trash. Other than that I like the head also like the heavy gathering chains much heavier than IH. I might try a case head next time I trade just for the resale part + red head on a red combine would look better

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had no problem in trashy corn, but do know that weather can make the difference the day that you combine trashy corn. Gathering chains are heavier on this head.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
goblue we just ordered a 3408 or whatever model for our 6088 next year and i wish i could get that spiral cone deal.....

looks like a great idea...

·
Registered
380 Posts
It sounds like the 2007 and 2008 head owners can get the new poly design, but I have heard from another grower that used them this year, and was very happy with the cones.

·
Registered
809 Posts
From what I've found out the only reason the outside auger/spiral cone setup is offered in North America is because the head is made in Poland and the setup is offered for the European market.
Why a North American machinery builder cannot or will not offer the package built here from the factory is beyond me.

By the way, I've seen how the chopping head "fits" on the NH and CIH machines and it doesn't look right to me. I don't like the angle the head runs at, not a low profile looking setup. There are pictures of the head on a NH machine over on the NH page and the head looks the same on a CIH combine.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I talked to my dealer cause i really wanted that option.. but he said its just not an option.....

i sure hope this 3408 is as good as the 1083 head......

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
case head is good, geinhoff, spend the money with option of rotor shear, looks like a mower has been out there trash gone, scott.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The CIH model has 2 chopping knives per row, how many does the other manufactures put on theirs?

I see from the CIH machine builder site that the outside auger kit lists at $1500 for the total package.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have ran an 2608 chopping head for two years , on a 2388 and a 8010 , have had no trouble with the header other than normal wear. The knives last a little over 1000 ac. before you have to turn them over in BT corn. Knives only lasted 700 ac. this year because corn was on the ground. Does an good job when speed is under 5.0.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts