The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me flexi coil 2340 air cart. I will be pulling it with a Case IH 9270. My question is where do I run the case drain for the fan motor to? I think the top of the hydraulic tank is best but the one fitting is taken by what appears to be a return line from the tractors hydraulic pump. All help is appreciated.

·
Registered
926 Posts
There should be a plug I believe that is not being used if I remember correctly towards the top middle of tank ...definitly do not want any back pressure on case drain I even do not go through a quick coupler any more just hard plum when using then plug when not using...

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
That vintage of cart and setup, does it run the metering rolls mechanically or does it have the variable rate system with hydraulic/electric motors providing the power to turn them ? . The reason I ask is that the amount of flow on a typical case drain motor for the fan hardly flows anything but you do not want back pressure. While the variable rate system also can't handle back pressure as the fan motor case drain is tied into it but it flows a crazy amount of oil per minute and where hose size or coupler choice can become an issue. On our unit ( its a JD tractor though ) I do use a typical 1/2 body pioneer coupler with the poppet style male/female ends but reverse the installation of the ends so that there is no way of plugging the hose from the cart into a pressure port on the back of the tractor. So the male end of the coupler chosen mounts to hose on the tractor ( the hose leading to the hydraulic tank ) and the female portion of the coupler is fitted to the hose on the air drill end. The main thing is to never forget to couple that hose up before starting up the fan !.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cart has the mechanical drive rolls for now. I plan on putting the Raven Omni Seed on in the future. The fitting in the top of the tank is taken. Can I just cut another hole and weld a fitting on?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Ok, so for now its all about a low flow situation with the cart ( perhaps not in the future ) and as I am not familiar with your tractors system I can't go claiming what sort of flow is being put through that existing line fitting on the top of the tank. If its sorted out that there is no issue with this, how about design a T fitting system to tie into that same top tank port ?. Certainly would be far more simple then having to somehow get steel shavings out of a tank after a hole was drilled through it I would think.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I plumbed mine to the top of the tank (well dad did) I can't recal if there was a plug or not? But it did go directly into the top of the tank.
If it is working for you, great, leave it alone. But to be proper, the return of fluid into a reservoir should be submerged below the fluid level line. Why? aeration and foaming. Aeration can cause many inconsistent problems if it gets bad enough. But if you are only running a case drain and no motor work return, it will only be a drip of volume.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have a new to me flexi coil 2340 air cart. I will be pulling it with a Case IH 9270. My question is where do I run the case drain for the fan motor to? I think the top of the hydraulic tank is best but the one fitting is taken by what appears to be a return line from the tractors hydraulic pump. All help is appreciated.
You should be able to add a T to that fitting on top of the tank and run two flows in there. Good suggestion not to run return oil in the top because of air mixing in with the oil, but for the small amount of case drain oil I would not worry about it. I added a 31 GPM piston pump onto my 9280 and plumbed the return into a large steel return line (maybe 1 1/2" dia.) that runs from right to left across the tractor , behind the transmission, and dumps right into the bottom of the hyd tank. That line has several unused caps and ports in JIC fittings. It is a very good idea to install a good low micron rated filter in the case drain line before it returns to tank, just in case. There may be concern about back pressure from a filter in the case drain line but I have done it on 2 tractors and FC 380 tank and 2 BG 6450 tanks with no problems. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.