The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a case IH 1020 17.5' header that is now using the 1 1/2" sickle. It is worn out, I need to replace it. Any suggestions, I have looked at going with the 3" case IH sickle, the Crary Goldencut, or the SCH System. Prices are roughly the same on all three. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had an 820 with a Crary in it. I liked the sickle ok, but the nylon pads on the hold downs would wear out quickly due to the sandy soil here. My 1020 that I now have has the SCH system on it. I like the inverted sections, they don't seem to wear as fast as others. I will say that replacing sections on the SCH is a little harder than the Crary. I guess I would take the SCH over the Crary.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
20' and lower SCH. Anything bigger 3" CIH sickle.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
20' and lower SCH. Anything bigger 3" CIH sickle.
Why is that?

We have a crary set up on a 30' 1010 and it lasted a long time. I've been running Herschel adams sections and guards that I buy from interstate farm products and they last better and cut better then oem. They also only cost$.55/section instead of $2. Herschel makes a 2" system that is basically the same as a 600 series deere too. I have no experience with it, but it looks like it might be a good option.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
We are running an SCH on ours. The CNH dealer we do business with doesn't do much with them anymore though, seems when they wear out they can shake the heck out of the head but haven't had any trouble yet. We have the roller guides or whatever they are called on so may take it a while to wear out. Does a very nice job cutting though.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i have a sch n a honey bee header and they are extremely tough guards i had a crary on an auger table for cutting peas and i really liked it as well and i am considering another on for my new header i put crary hold downs on my moco as well i like both systems better than any stock knife

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Any SCH around here that is above a 20' is nothing but troubles. Knife heads break, splice bars pull apart, really frustrating. Does do an excellent job of cutting, but is not worth the headaches. I personally have never run a crary before, but my uncle had one that he was constantly breaking the hold down springs on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
On the rigid 1010 headers you have very little trouble with the sickle because they don't bend and flex like the 1020 flex head does. But as far as sickle's go I have 2 1020's with the 1.5" sections and like them but the do wear quick and break things more often. And with that said I would run the 3" CIH sickle, yes they are more expensive being an OEM item but most of my neighbors run them and they will usually last 2 to 3 times longer than my 1.5" and they don't have the same trouble that I have with the guards getting packed full of grass and dirt which leads to a broken cutter bar.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Any SCH around here that is above a 20' is nothing but troubles. Knife heads break, splice bars pull apart, really frustrating.
Ours is on a 20' head, never broke the knife head but had the bolts break on a splice before but that was mostly on our 820 head, so far the 1020 is going better but we keep a set of metric tools, spare splice bar, plenty of nuts and bolts, and a box of sections in the combine cab so we aren't wasting time running back to the place to get everything.

Should add that if you find any loose sickle sections might as well replace them and the bolts holding them down on the spot, once the hole gets slightly oblong in the section they will break the bolt even if tight, its just a matter of time, and if its one over a splice the rest of the splice bolts break with it.

If you take the time to check them over before starting for the season and on rainy days some of the problems can be avoided. Any brand of sickle will have its own problems, knowing what they are is half the battle in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts