The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Just started beans with my (new to me ) 1986 1660 and a cpl hundred bushel in the hydro quit moving the machine. The head still functions up and down and the unload auger swings out. Thank god. It’s full of hyd fluid in the reservoir up on top under the unload auger. And there is a strange sound (kind of a grinding but mild) coming from high above the left rear tire up under the sheet metal. Is it possible that the splines on that hyd pump went out ?? It happened all at once going up a slight grade with only 50 bushel in it. Seems that I wouldn’t have any hyd if that pump’s main spline shaft spun. Thanks for any help. I’m new to red combines.
Dave.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stickboat1 could I ask a somewhat related question. When you were disconnecting the lines during removal of the auxiliary hydraulic pump, was the fluid under pressure? Reason I ask, I need to replace the o rings in the lines to the auxiliary hyd pump of my 1640 and was wondering before taking apart if I needed to outfit myself with rain gear or would a pail do to catch minimal hydraulic fluid when pipes are disconnected? Would like to avoid a shower. Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
Stickboat1 could I ask a somewhat related question. When you were disconnecting the lines during removal of the auxiliary hydraulic pump, was the fluid under pressure? Reason I ask, I need to replace the o rings in the lines to the auxiliary hyd pump of my 1640 and was wondering before taking apart if I needed to outfit myself with rain gear or would a pail do to catch minimal hydraulic fluid when pipes are disconnected? Would like to avoid a shower. Thanks
I would drain the reservoir first, but no, it's not under pressure if the engines not running. There will be oil in the hoses so be prepared as you said, with a pail. Undo the hoses slowly and wear safety glasses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts