The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a Case IH 2388 to increase the acreage i can cover in addition to my 1992 Case IH 1670. I farm all hillside ground on the palouse in Washington and wondering if the 2WD (with 2-Speed Hydro) is enough to cut and pull the hillside ground or should I look to find one with 4WD? Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have 2188 with 2 speed and 4wd. I don't farm near as steep of ground as you do but personally I will never own another combine without 4wd. It is easier on the hydro transmission and final drives and it does give it more power. All the 2 speed does is gain you about 1 mile per hour on the high side over the low side but does not give give you any more power in low. Low is just the standard speed that came out on IH combine originally. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The 4wd gives you more cc of hydro motor which increases torque for a given pressure. If i'm not mistaken the 2 spd actually limits the displacement of the main drive motor so the same volume and pressure give more speed but less torque. I think 4x4 would be more important, maybe a 2spd also if you want to cut in first instead of 2nd.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a two speed and genuine 4wd. Would never own one without it. The whole hydro system runs cooler and easier and it seems a lot easier to adjust speed. The only problem is you really need to add weight pack to the back end (if you don't already have one) in order to get the full benefit. I don't run any weights and if you go into reverse too quickly the rear end will hop a bit - not good for seals. Also you lose a bit of your top end speed in each gear but thats not a drama for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts