The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guys that harvest my corn had a 7010 last year, and now a 7120 this year, and it grinds the corn into feed.

They have tried many different adjustments. Is anyone out there having this problem? When you talk to Case IH reps/dealers they act like we are the only ones having trouble, yet other people I talk to with the new AFX rotor are having the same trouble. I know this year is a challenge with the low test weight and high moisture corn, but last year it turned my high test weight, drier corn into feed also. When I used to have a 2188 with a standard rotor, a monkey could set it and not grind corn.

What about smooth rasp bars, removing some bars/wires from the concave, trade for a John Deere? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I guess that does sound odd in my 6088 i have the rotor up to 320 and concaves wide open and get by fine... so even on yours if they do that then it still grinds???

to me there's no reason it would grind the corn in that scenario... i hope someone can help you..

i guess theyve made sure the concave calibration is accurate?

something else they changed the numbers on the concaves for some d**n reason they did it on the 6088 whats wrong with 0-8
???

im sure its in millimeter's or something

·
Registered
176 Posts
I started with three round bars and one large wire. Large wire in the right front. I was grinding corn. The large wire was plugging. Went to all 4 round bars . Shifted concave to the right as far as I could get it.Added four concave curtains.[They say 7010& 7120 need them because of the narrower shieve] .Ran rotor 320-340 , 32-34, Ran skip wires in the rear with 8 straight bars. Added four spikes to rear to shread the caps.Top sieve 17, bottom 13, fan 950. Tilt 2`.There's a rubber flap attached to the fingerbar of top sieve. Did a good job as long as I kept under 3,000 BPH.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know what they are doing. All things considered my quality looks good. The large wire concave gets some husks and silks in it but the drier the stalk is the better it becomes. What I am saying is you want the grain to fall thru the concave as soon as it is threshed to eliminate over processing in the rotor. I run the rotor 320 rpm concave setting on 9 and book recommended seive settings. This corn is running 30-32%. I was a JD man before and believe me the color of the machine doesn't matter it is the operator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All your settings sound pretty close. I run my rotor down as far as 230-250 rpm in 30-35 % corn this year and the concave on about 10-12. Just enough to get it off the cob with some fines, but they mainly come from the spots that are over 35 %. Sieves are at 17-19 top and 17 on bottom for less return. Good luck and safe harvesting!

·
Registered
349 Posts
You have to remember that you can run the rotor to slow and have the concave open to far. If you do have the rotor to slow or concave open to much the material is in the rotor way to long causing more grinding. On our 2588, which i do know is much different then a 7120, we run round bars, set the concave at 3 and rotor at 320 and shell 30% all day long with very few fines or grindings. Its nice not to have to power washer the dryer everyday.

·
Registered
111 Posts
open the bottom sieve wide open you shouldn't be putting anything through the tailings. and in wet corn like that you have to give it time to move through the cleaning system.. Even with the 8010 anything over 3800 bph in 32 percent corn it will throw it out the back, eventhough the combine is only at 80% engine power...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought I could only wear green tennis shoes too, went as far as running a 9660 "STS" in 08

Back to Red to stay.

When it comes down to thrashin machines, Red ones rule!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts