The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
ran one with liquid for a while, 8500 at 45 ft, went back to seperately applied fertilizer
Any reason why? I don’t have experience with liquid, would be to do starter only on wheat. Rest would be broad cast and incorporated before.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Any reason why? I don’t have experience with liquid, would be to do starter only on wheat. Rest would be broad cast and incorporated before.
only reason for not doing fert with seed was not getting the fert tank at the same time ... tank still sitting at other guys place [new pump], but went with seperately appled fert ...
still set up with stainless steel lines for the fert and atom jet boots on the hoe part, definitely worth the 6k i paid for it, set up with narrow spacing, needs the reinforcement pieces welded in yet ..

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Wish you were closer, I'd be looking at that. I'm still trying to get the 8500 into the field for the first time. I'm having problems with the hydraulics. The wings work fine, and the left side of the machine works good, but the right side is giving me problems. The second last cylinder won't extend all the way so it isn't bypassing oil to the last cylinder (they use slots at the top of the bore to bypass to the next cylinder and are plumbed in series instead of parallel like most IHC products... more like a Morris). We took the 2nd last cylinder apart and it seems good inside, and when we put it on a tractor alone it put oil out the top port. It acts like air in between the 2nd and 3rd cylinders, but I've blown about 5 gallons of oil through it and bled it to no avail. The last cylinder on that side is an aftermarket one and I wondered if it was just the wrong type of cylinder. I replumbed it so the last cylinder was bypassed and the remaining cylinders worked better, but the last one still won't extend beyond 8" and it needs to hit about 8.5" to bypass properly. Any ideas for those experienced with these drills?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Apparently the seal kits are no longer available... I'm guessing the previous owner just slapped that aftermarket cylinder on to sell it. Wish I knew if it ever worked, or if I have something else going on. They tell me the correct way to bleed them is with the cylinder rods disconnected and fully extended. Did you have any problems bleeding after you put the kit in?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Apparently the seal kits are no longer available
Did you have any problems bleeding after you put the kit in?

seal kits may be NLA at dealer, but local [Maki] hydraulic shop had them on the shelf in stock , weird cylinders, only ones like that ??
as far as bleeding, no problems to remember, didn't take them apart or run with couplings off, was two years ago ?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I actually ended up getting a 787/730 John Deere. Partially because parts were hard to find of the 8500/8600 cih. The other reason was the seeders for sale were either beat or the asking price hi and wasn’t much lower than what I got. Ripped the cultervator parts and harrow, it’s pretty much a 44’ 455 air drill with 787 cart

·
Registered
472 Posts
well, happy with mine, but don't need it any more ..
i found parts relatively easy to get, as long as you didn't look at the dealer ..
for example, 10 complete shank assemblies for $100 plus shipping..
same as the 7200 ??

and [as far as I know]] the main tank hasn't seen fertilizer, nice shape yet, and the atom jet openers were worth the purchase price ..

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
This actually has 2 aftermarket cylinders on the right side, the first big one beside the depth control and the last one on the wing. I'm wondering if not having the flow through like the originals is limiting the total amount of oil available to that side, and not letting the cylinders raise all the way. Man I hate dealing with f-ups like this...

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
This actually has 2 aftermarket cylinders on the right side, the first big one beside the depth control and the last one on the wing. I'm wondering if not having the flow through like the originals is limiting the total amount of oil available to that side, and not letting the cylinders raise all the way. Man I hate dealing with f-ups like this...
Diameter of the cylinders when hooked in series is critical, the first being the largest and each one following is smaller. Reason for this is it is the rod (small displacement) end oil of the first one that pushes out the piston of the second and so on and so on. If one of those cylinders is not the right size, not enough or too much oil is moving between those cylinders and throws the whole system out of wack.
Have no hands on with one of those machines so can't say how it is set up, but if its any help, most times you see about a quarter inch decrease in barrel diameter for each successive cylinder.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The sizes are ok, but I think the issue is the lack of ports in the top to allow the oil to flow to the next cylinder. That wouldn't matter on the end, but I'm quite sure the first one is going to be an issue. So far almost nothing is available for this drill from IH and they would want over $1k/cylinder anyway if the rest of the pricing keeps up. We hooked up the electronics yesterday and the box does nothing but scream. I can turn the clutch on and off, and change the fan speed, but I can't shut the alarm off. I've pretty much given up on this piece of scrap for this spring and I'm going to pull the old hoe drill out and hook it up today. Still too wet to go to the field, but I might be able to get going tomorrow or Monday if I hook onto a machine that works. I might look for a 30 ft. machine that works and use this one for parts, or just cut my losses and look for an old JD or something else that I can still get parts for. There doesn't seem to have been many of them in Manitoba... most used parts sources I'm finding are in Sask. or Montana.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Well...yes and no... in the world of air seeders $5k is cheap, but for an 8500 that was good money. With tires and hoses I'm into it for around $6,500. The lack of parts availability is worrying and it might be time to cut my losses. Yesterday I finally had enough and hooked everything up to park it and the f'n hydraulics worked! I guess I finally got all the air out after pumping an extra 15 gals of Trans/Hyd. through it. The only issue left to sort out now is the electronics and I'm waiting on a repair manual. All the box wants to do is squeal and I can't shut the alarm off... could be a switch issue or it's just getting too many bad censor readings from the back. Either way I had to quit messing with it for now and get some seed in the ground. Hooked on the old hoe drill yesterday and started seeding wheat. Guess I'll put up with the 20ft machine for one more year...

·
Registered
13 Posts
https://www.greatplainsmfg.com/manuals/pdf/167-074d-b.pdf

Great plains made the frame and openers for Case 8500. I ordered lots of parts for mine this spring. A few years ago I had trouble with lifting cylinders being level, letting it flow after it was out of ground didn't help. I followed instructions how to bleed hydraulics, and I haven't had trouble since. part numbers and bleeding instructions are in manual.
It could be a newer year than the one I attached, they have other manuals on their site. They didn't show the parts available online, but when I had a dealer call they had every part I wanted.

Clark

https://www.greatplainsag.com/dealer-search-results

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well...yes and no... in the world of air seeders $5k is cheap, but for an 8500 that was good money. With tires and hoses I'm into it for around $6,500. The lack of parts availability is worrying and it might be time to cut my losses. Yesterday I finally had enough and hooked everything up to park it and the f'n hydraulics worked! I guess I finally got all the air out after pumping an extra 15 gals of Trans/Hyd. through it. The only issue left to sort out now is the electronics and I'm waiting on a repair manual. All the box wants to do is squeal and I can't shut the alarm off... could be a switch issue or it's just getting too many bad censor readings from the back. Either way I had to quit messing with it for now and get some seed in the ground. Hooked on the old hoe drill yesterday and started seeding wheat. Guess I'll put up with the 20ft machine for one more year...
The asking price range of these units are crazy. Have called guys and asked how they arrived at their price (10-20k) and it was always that’s what they felt it was worth or that’s less then they’ve put into it the last few years. Meanwhile auction prices were 2-5k.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
https://www.greatplainsmfg.com/manuals/pdf/167-074d-b.pdf

Great plains made the frame and openers for Case 8500. I ordered lots of parts for mine this spring. A few years ago I had trouble with lifting cylinders being level, letting it flow after it was out of ground didn't help. I followed instructions how to bleed hydraulics, and I haven't had trouble since. part numbers and bleeding instructions are in manual.
It could be a newer year than the one I attached, they have other manuals on their site. They didn't show the parts available online, but when I had a dealer call they had every part I wanted.

Clark

https://www.greatplainsag.com/dealer-search-results
Thanks...good to know. This one had the auger added to it later, so I suspect it was an earlier model, probably mid 80's.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts