The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while seeding lost all hydraulic functions on tractor. Tractor still runs fine , there are no unusual noises and will still move but there is no steering or oil flow at remotes. Of course Sunday and long weekend I haven't been able to learn much but will be on the phone again this morning. Anyone have any advice as to what has happened. I am thinking pump failure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well a big thank you to Stephan for my one reply and for answering my private messages. Sure not many other replies I guess we must be the only ones who ever had a hydraulic problem on a case ih 9370. Just for the record if anyone else in the future happens to turn to the Internet for advice, what happened on my tractor is the splined shaft broke off the pump right where it bolts to the transmission. Why I don't know and I certainly hope it doesn't happen again. The charge pump seems to turn freely so only am replacing the one pump. Will be bolting things back together first thing tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Well a big thank you to Stephan for my one reply and for answering my private messages. Sure not many other replies I guess we must be the only ones who ever had a hydraulic problem on a case ih 9370. Just for the record if anyone else in the future happens to turn to the Internet for advice, what happened on my tractor is the splined shaft broke off the pump right where it bolts to the transmission. Why I don't know and I certainly hope it doesn't happen again. The charge pump seems to turn freely so only am replacing the one pump. Will be bolting things back together first thing tomorrow.
thanks for the answer, I had this tractor, but never this problem... mine was much worse.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Thanks for letting us know how things worked out. Too often people disappear without sharing how they solved their problems.
Strange stuff does happen from time to time and always nice to know what went wrong...

Years back while working for a canning company had a Byron 9400 sweetcorn picker that had the header stop, nothing plugging it up, wouldn't even reverse. The heads on these were driven with 2 hydraulic motors, one on either side of the feeder throat with a shaft running through the feeder from one side to the other hooking the 2 together. spent several hours that night trying to figure out why it stopped, engine never pulled down when header was engaged like it normaly would, figured it was the pump but that checked out ok. Turns out one of the motors broke its shaft, and so all the oil ran through that motor instead of both so the head never moved.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've seen hydraulic pump shafts break-off before. Maybe not the most common pump failure...but often enough. I've also seen the splines wear-off and not turn the pumps anymore...

All this not on Case/IH tractors though. I'm really a Deere guy...however I never really warmed up to newer JD 4 wheel-drives...and when my old reliable 8640 Deere hit about 3 zillion hours...I opted not to spend a quarter million dollars on green iron..and bought a red 9370 used.

The neighbors looked at me funny 'cause I had always owned green...but with 20 years under my belt as a Deere mechanic I've seen red-iron to be just as mortal as green-iron. Not a tractor made that don't beak-down.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Redleaf, may I advise patience? You can't expect a hundred replies within ten minutes of posting a question. We aren't all "rained out" on here.

Good you found the problem and posted it on here though, thanks for that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I am remembering things correctly Case IH did have some trouble with those shafts either striping the splines or breaking. I have had to put 4 or 5 of those shafts in 9370's and 9380's over the last couple of years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A couple of recent replies advise patience and while I certainly understand that. However that it not something I had a lot of at the time. It wasn't that I expected hundreds or even wanted hundreds of replies within ten minutes but I did think between 6 or 7 am and 9 pm there would be some response. I know everyone is busy right now and I'm sure that is the reason for limited number of response. After finding a pump later yesterday and an early morning attempt i find i don't have the right wrenches to remove the hydraulic lines so in the interest of moving things along I am waiting for a mechanic from local dealership to assist with replacement. Keeping my fingers crossed and hope all goes well. Good luck to all at this busy time of the year and remember to keep yourself and others safe.
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The new pump went into my 9370 and everything seems to be operating as normal although i do hear a bit more hydraulic noise and chatter in the cab while running air cart fan. Perhaps with a new pump there is more pressure and flow.
Ok here for the sake of anyone in the future searching for the same problem I had is a brief descriptionro of what occurred and how it was handled.
Suspecting the pump was the problem we were able to pull the pump away from trans and saw that the shaft was broken off. We did not do anything with the charge pump and even left the hydraulic lines attached (there was enough give in the hoses to move it out of the way and remove the old pump). With a magnet we fished out the broken stub. The mechanics assured me that it could not fall into trans and would simply stay in the hollow shaft but I fished it out anyway. The fellow I had helping told me he has seen a couple of other tractors have the same problem including a very new versatile. He also told me the pump we were installing was exactly the same pump as on some versatile tractors. After new pump was installed we tried turning old pump from other end with needle nose pliers and were unable to turn it ( seized ?? ) will have a look at it later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts