The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a chopping corn head. Wondering if anyone knows anything about the new case ih chopping head. I want to compare the IH head to a harvestec head, both in price and build. Going to buy 6 row. Also who builds the head or whos head design was it originally.

Thank You!

·
Registered
47 Posts
THE CASE IH CHOPPING CORN HEADS CAME OUT IN LATE 06.

1. 23" LONG PINCH TYPE STALK ROLLS ( 1000 SERIES )
2. 50HR GREASE FITTING IN THE NOSE CONE
3. 2 FREE SWINGING BLADES THAT CUT FULL LENGTH OF THE STALK ROLL
4. CHOPPING BLADES ARE REVERSABILE
5. MECHANICAL DISCONNECT FOR EACH ROW (SHIFT OUT OF GEAR)
6. REQUIRES 4 -7 HP PER ROW MORE TO RUN.
7. COMES IN 6 ROW, 8 ROW, 8 ROW FOLDING, 12 ROW
8. 4 TO 6.5 MPH SPEED
I SAW ONE RUN IN IOWA LAST NOV, THE CORNSTALKS WERE REAL DRY AND SMALL IN DIAMETER, IT DID A NICE JOB. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW THEY RUN WITH A WET NOODLE FOR A STALK.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Id like to know the honest advantage of a chopping corn head

Lets say in not so great corn..

we don't usually produce anything over 150 or 180 on a great year..

Old corn heads (1083 do great) have a hard time thanks to all of the talk about the 2208 corn heads...

we like..we hate..we like...hate it..ect..ect...

kinda confuseing..

Just curious

·
Registered
588 Posts
I own a Harvestec head, which is a VERY similar to the CNH 2600 decribed above.
IT IS AWESOME.
For reduced till operations, it saves alot of residue management as the stalks really rot over winter as they are chopped and lying on the ground in moisture. In the spring, the field not not look too different than a field that had silage removed.
LOVE IT.
We run a an 8 row on a 06 9760 and at 5.5 mph in 190-220 bu corn, I was using most of the power. Don't forget, and 8 row uses about an EXTRA 50 hp, it adds up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We have been running a Cressoni chopping corn head the last 3 or 4 years and it does a great job. We only do custom harvesting in corn since we dont raise any and the guys we cut for love it too since it saves a trip over the field instead of having to run a stalk chopper over it. It is very similar to the Case chopping head, it has 2 blades that chop each row also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey kinzepower wondering what was the list price. I have one priced at 37,500 for a new 6 row. Has anyone priced the case head?My case dealer didn't get me my price. Also any problem with rocks in down corn. Don't have a lot of rocks but enough to be a concern. I have seen the harvestec head, and if the new case chopping head is built as light as the 2200 series head the harvestec in my book if alot heaver built.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kinzepower im from thorp wisconsin in west central wi. I do custom work including harvesting, and cash crop 700 rented acres. I Fill alot of silos with high moisture corn for dairy farmers also work for some cash crop farmers. I think it would be a good selling point to have the chopping head. I would like it myself besides.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A neighbor ran a 6 row Drago chopping head this year and really liked it. They went with a chopping head because they are mostly corn on corn and the chopping head makes it alot easier to get a manure applicator through heavy corn stalks. For a no-till corn/soybean rotation I like the way the old IH corn heads leave the corn stalks, here is a picture I took planting beans last spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts