The Combine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on the east coast (NJ)and nobody out here uses draper heads. I would like to try one but the Case IH dealers out here don't even want to get them in. I am certain it would work fine in wheat but if I buy one I would want to use it in soybeans as well. I have flat fields and I think a draper would work fine but how well do they really flex for soybeans. I have heard that the center section of the drapers are rigid. Any in put would help greatly. I have a 2377 and a 2388 is there anybody running a 36 foot draper on a 2377 and if so how well does it handle it? Our wheat yields run anywhere from 60-100 bushels on average.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Last year we ran a 36 foot flex draper on our 8010 and it seemed to work fine. It was really nice cuz you could change the angle of the guards to cut lower or tilt it back in rockier ground. There was some parts missing or fell off on our adapter and dirt and bean stems kept getting wrapped around the center belt. Other than that it worked nice, but we got rid of it for a new 35 foot 2020 flex head which also works great

·
Registered
102 Posts
My dad got sick of pulling the beans from under the belts, i guess they are kinda high maintnance. But we only ran it for one season of wheat and half of bean harvest. We never had expierence with one before which could of been part of the problem. It feed so smooth in wheat. We didnt find out that there were parts missing from it until our dealer sold it and when they went to load it they noticed sumthin wrong.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Something had to be wrong...we put 2,000 acres into 2 heads each and never had that issue...

So far were kinda like everyone else and in love with them

Good luck with that 2020 head thou..

·
Registered
102 Posts
yea we couldnt figure out was wrong with it and replacing the center belt got kinda spendy. We didnt know what was wrong until our dealer sold it and found that there was some parts missing on the adapter or somethin to do with the center belt.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Quote:I live on the east coast (NJ)and nobody out here uses draper heads. I would like to try one but the Case IH dealers out here don't even want to get them in. I am certain it would work fine in wheat but if I buy one I would want to use it in soybeans as well. I have flat fields and I think a draper would work fine but how well do they really flex for soybeans. I have heard that the center section of the drapers are rigid. Any in put would help greatly. I have a 2377 and a 2388 is there anybody running a 36 foot draper on a 2377 and if so how well does it handle it? Our wheat yields run anywhere from 60-100 bushels on average.

Yo Ayars!! Our understanding is that the flex draper like the 2062
that we have on an 8010 was built as a soybean header....then somebody asked ' will it work in wheat?' The answer is yes....it
works great on our 8010, especially after our main man fixed some
of Mac Don's screw-ups ( you would think for 50 large that they
could build it so the reel doesn't hit the grain dividers....WAY more
on that soon) Our local dealer put a 36' flex-draper on a couple
of 2388's......made real hot rods out of them.....tell your Case IH
dealers there to get out of the horse & buggy era and join the
21st century....the 2062 in action....7 mph in 70BU wheat;

·
Registered
975 Posts
Ayars660 I feel your pain I want one too. I think they will work here. However our dealer Hoober (Probably yours too) won't get any because the last one they had didn't work. In fact there is a guy that farms around 15,000 acres near me that CNH has been down here with a draper and AFX 8010 for the last 3years or better trying to get them to work. They say they just won't follow the ground like the auger heads. They say it leaves alot of skips where the head dont flex. Also they say the high humidity affects it's feeding. Also they say it won't pickup down wheat or wheat leaning away from you. Anyway we just bought a new 35ft 2020 augerhead for our AFX 8010.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thats the same story I got when I said something to Hoobers about getting one here to try it, they said it didn't work rite for our ground conditions here. I want to try one but don't want to be the one to try it and then not have it workout for the amount of money they cost. For wheat I am sure it would work fine but for that kind of investment I would surely want to run it in beans too.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Quote:.....tell your Case IH
dealers there to get out of the horse & buggy era and join the
21st century....

Thats funny considering Hoobers is based in Intercourse,PA......The heart of Amish Country.....

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I replaced our outside running pads and after just a couple hundred acres the outside middle part of them on the right side of the head is completly gone bare metal..

do i need to tighten down the two large springs or do the other adjustment maybe?

thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts