The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which case heads are same as 974 flex draper ? Case has 1042 2052 2062 bunch of different numbers which are flex? Lookin to put a 30ft on a 2388 Is there more than just 974 that macdon has as a flex?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
We have a 35 ft macdon 976 ( I think that's the right number ) on a 8120 and I was talking to a neighbor that had tried one of these headers on one of his new hollands and all he had to say was that the combine with the macdon ran hotter and used more fuel to get the same job done as his regular auger type header in wheat . As far as the flex I will cut closer to the ground with my 30 ft 1020 header than the macdon does . And have less plugging problems as the cutterbar really flexes .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I find that newholland guys experience rather interesting ! heres my demo experience. 8010 05 model runnin 30ft 3020 with full air 3.5 -4.5mph machine would slightly dlug engine load goes from 65-110%constantly. I put on 40ft 2162 i drove 4.5mph engine load constantly at 95-98% stubble was short these were green stem beans runnin at 20%moisture.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I find that newholland guys experience rather interesting ! heres my demo experience. 8010 05 model runnin 30ft 3020 with full air 3.5 -4.5mph machine would slightly dlug engine load goes from 65-110%constantly. I put on 40ft 2162 i drove 4.5mph engine load constantly at 95-98% stubble was short these were green stem beans runnin at 20%moisture.
Do you have air on the 2162?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Yeah you are right CForest, my mistake, getting confused with the numbers. I own a 2162 (FD 70) They could have kept the same numbers, would have been easier. Not because they change the panel color and number we aren't going to know Case didn't design them....

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Ran a 974 36ft after my 2162 40ft went down from clipping a deadhead , the 974 has a smaller auger than the newer series (2162 or FD70) and that was a definite drawback !! OK when it was dry out but when it got alittle tuff @ night the smaller auger on the 974 had a tendency to plug in cereals !!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Ran an 09 fd 70 on rigid all last year on an 2010 ch 8120. Shorter pulse crop this year. Planning on trying out flex mode. Any advice? Just unhook two bars and go? Or do you have to adjust draper tension?
You have the 2 little white rods to move to lower position , unlock the big locks @ the bottom and adjust your wheels (I believe they should be right off the ground in flex position) I have mine touching the ground abit !!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just a quick cross reference list for you guys. I'm sure I likely forgot one somewhere, so add on as required.

960 - Case 1040
962 - Case 1042
963 - Case 2042
972 - Case 1052
973 - Case 2052
974 - Case 2062, New Holland 82C
D50 - Case 2142
D60 - Case 2152
FD70 - Case 2162

·
Registered
477 Posts
A little known fact about the 2162 (FD70) is that properly set up they can be ran unlocked with the wheels down, usually #2 position, and cut at around 6 - 8" and do a real nice job of following uneven/undulating ground. It is near impossible to get the settings just right so that the header doesn't go into a slight Z position but with a lot of patience and time it can be done. It is a balance between the float springs being tensioned just right, the bell cranks set perfectly, the lower springs being set in the right hole, and your auto header height set right and the cable not sticky.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have a CaseIH 2020 30 ft flex header and a MD973 30ft draper w/872 adapter. The MD has a way better reel than the Hart Carter reel. The MD will cut lower to the ground because of the angle of the header is adjustable and it has lateral tilt and the 2020 doesn't. 2020 for peas and canola and the MD for lentils and cereals.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks for replies. Bad altitude. Haven't tried flex so no experience. What do you mean by slight z position? Just in flex?

Probably wasn't the best way to describe it but yes while in flex mode and cutting off the ground with the wheels carrying the header, one wing can flex down and the other up. This causes the center section to tilt over slightly since the center section can float laterally. So for example the left wing flexes downward causing the center section to tilt to the right slightly while the right wing flexes upward. If you look at the knife it will be running in the shape of a lazy Z. And this is on level ground. Once you see it you'll know what I mean. The trick is to get it to run straight with the wings flexing up or down to follow the terrain with out causing the center section to tilt laterally. As soon as you lift your wheels and let the cutter bar down to ride on the ground/shoes the header and cutter bar will straighten out. In other words the header is much easier to set up and run in flex while cutting on the ground.
Like I said its really tough to get your header fine tuned to run properly off the ground in flex mode properly. I was lucky enough to have the right Macdon rep out to set mine up. I've since inadvertently screwed mine up and can't get it back working as good as it was.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.