The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That track looks kind of similar to the ones on the RowTrac.

That emissions Drum, does look quiet ridiculous

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think Case IH knows they are huge too, they try to use the tricks of the camera to hide its true size. Shooting from the ground on the opposite side of it, and trying to shoot at its slimmest profile when in view of it since its an oval.

Magnum promo photo. You can see by the tip that it is the Tier4F, they just moved the camera low enough so you dont see the DOC. I'm sure it was by accident though...

Promo photo from DPF side, perfectly inline to show the DOC's slimmest profile.

Promo photo for Steiger, lined up to show slimmest profile.

What it looks like from the side

I think the guy speaking could fit inside it.

Now as much as I am enjoying picking on the massive size of their exhaust (which from CNH's diagram suggests it is just the SCR catalyst, but they are using a DOC so possibly they are all in that can), what they did with the pictures is no different than what any other company in marketing would do.

It also appears that CNH is going to end up with the most simple setup for Tier 4 F across the board. I see on some engines they are using Turbo Compound which they have in the past, and it also appears they are using a water intercooler as well. Overall though it seems fairly simple. Deere's seems to be the most complex combining twin turbos (one VGT), EGR, DPF and SCR to meet the requirements. I can't find a final detailed image of what Agco is doing, but they say they will be using EGR on some models and will continue using SCR along with a DOC. Fendt is using twin sequential turbos (one is shut off while the other is running, versus compounded turbos like Deere where both are always running), along with EGR a Passive DPF and SCR. The Passive DPF on the Fendt scares me a little, but they claim it does not need replacement. Time will tell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ya that is unfortunate about the large and kinda ugly exhaust on magnum/steiger tractors. Anyone else find that now you need to rev these engines up around 1900+ rpm to get any power out in tough pulling conditions? We had troubles this fall plowing with the magnums just almost stalling instead of lugging like the previous teir three ones. Was told by dealer that you need to keep engine rpms over 1900 where engine output is at its peak, not at 17 or 1800 like on previous models... Seemed to work some but im sure this tier 4 exhaust will rob some power on it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
That's funny, my sale rep came today and we talked a bit about that tractor. Apparently, they had a bit of problem with it being hard to turn. Front wheel not having enough traction compare to the long track to make it turn. I'm leaning more and more for a row track tractor for my next one, probably in 2-3 years. Magnum dual track as CVT, weigths less for what I want to do with it, two less track to maintain and probably cheaper than steiger row track... Steiger will turn better for sure, better for land levelling and more durable tractor I think. We'll see when it'll come out I guess

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's funny, my sale rep came today and we talked a bit about that tractor. Apparently, they had a bit of problem with it being hard to turn. Front wheel not having enough traction compare to the long track to make it turn. I'm leaning more and more for a row track tractor for my next one, probably in 2-3 years. Magnum dual track as CVT, weigths less for what I want to do with it, two less track to maintain and probably cheaper than steiger row track... Steiger will turn better for sure, better for land levelling and more durable tractor I think. We'll see when it'll come out I guess

When I looked at it I thought to myself that it looks hard to turn. I understand what they are trying to do. I think its ugly as all get out as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.