The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what tends to break more often is it the tube that snaps or the main frame of the rear axle the breaks in half ?any way to beef it up with out removing the rear axle ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Both of the axles on our 1680's have been broken. they brake right where the tube is welded on to the main frame of the axel. I agree a plate on the top and bottom is the way to go, Just like the axles on the 2388's. I dont know if the welds can be made with it in place. It realy wouldent be that hard to remove from the machine. When my axle broke I was in the worst possible spot. Hard ground a pick and a shovel a few blocks and 2 bottle jacks makes for a good time.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
They can break anywhere. They crack out around the pivot tube and can also just fail and snap in two there. Or they can break the extension accross the bolt holes. The wider you run the axle, and the wider your tires, the more strain'n stress you put on it. I got tired of allways chasing cracks and jacking the machine up during prime running time, so I made my own.

Here's a link to it with pictures, and here's a picture of the most recent add on to it. I just ran out of time when I built the first part and now I have to do a little detail work and paint, and I'm done.
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-....tmode=1#M175000

I know, not much help, but like said, a couple pieces of strap wherever you think is a weak area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts