The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2001 Stx440 and all 4 hydraulic remotes have problems with sinking. Replaced a load check valve on one of them and it didn't fix the problem although I can't be sure it didn't help. Has anyone had problems like this?

·
Registered
460 Posts
We have a 2001 Stx440 and all 4 hydraulic remotes have problems with sinking. Replaced a load check valve on one of them and it didn't fix the problem although I can't be sure it didn't help. Has anyone had problems like this?
I complained about my hydraulics seeping on my Case STX tractors and was told that they only had check valves on the one side and to reverse my hydraulic hoses. Seeping problem solved. New problem was that I had to reprogram myself as up was now down as far as moving the hydraulic control.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I finally had a chance to check and mine sink either way.
We have an STX 375 that was doing the same thing. Actually, it was lifting the wings up on our airdrill. I would totally extend the cylinders when I got to a field and after 6 or 7 hours (the first time) it shortened the cylinders enough that one of my wings would lift up a bit on extremely uneven terrain (which we have a lot of). The first time I figured I must have accidentally hit that remote (which I hadn’t done in 2000 hours of operation before) but realized the next day that something was fishy.

The first year I “fixed” it by installing ball valves on the hydraulic lines for that remote (since I only had to fold and unfold once per field). The second year it started creeping into another remote and causing issues. Tractor had maybe 6 or 7000 hours on it at this time.
Obviously I had mechanics out once or twice and talked to quite a few. One finally suggested that I buy a new spool and pop it on. I believe it was nearly $300 CDN but it solved the problem right away. Took 10 minutes to swap. Four bolts and two o-rings.
I replaced the other three remotes a few days later. So, I have 3 that were still working in my shop if you need them. 😉

No idea if it will work for you, but it is fast, easy, and relatively inexpensive. Oh ya, I found out later I could have updated to 3/4” lines on one or two remotes for an extra $1000 each. I do not think I would do so, even looking back as I think the block offices are only rated for 26 GPM per remote anyways on my tractor. Would help the hydraulics run a bit cooler though.
Maybe worth trying on one? I didn’t have to get anything recalibrated after. Maybe yours is newer and you would have to get them recalibrated. In which case it might not be worth shooting in the dark.
Good luck.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'll second to put in a new spool .
Had a machine sinking when raised, quite fast in the end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts