The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No info in hay/forage section so thought try here. Looking at upgrading my windrower. Looking at WD1203/1903 or new JD A400/R450 with Honeybee drapers. What are pros and cons of each. How does the suspension axle work on the Case? Currently have WDX1203.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a WD 1203 with a 30 ft honeybee. Really like the tractor but the header has room for improvment. Wish a guy could put a D60 macdon on a WD 1203. Then you would have the best swather ever.

Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a 2008 WD1203 with the rear suspension.

Love the tractor unit of the swather.
Rear suspension take some getting used to. Smooth ride but hardly driveable without the header attached.
We have the Carter Day reel and definitely would not order it again as it wraps bad in Canola and especially Flax.

I haven't been around the Deere. Most windrowers here are MacDon but always seem to be built on the light, cheap side.

·
Registered
472 Posts
We have a 2008 WD1203 with a 36' HB. The tractor has been good but we had a few problems with it this past year. We struggled with an overheating issue that turned out to be a faulty sender. By the time we figured it out and got the right part we were done swathing. We could only run at part throttle or the temp would start to climb into the red. Our other problem was a blown servo motor gasket on a wheel motor. It appeared to be improperly installed at the factory which caused it to fail. Patched it up with some silicone and it held up until we were finished. We have a few small but steep hills and it definitely lacks for hydraulic power here. I don't know if it's horsepower or not enough hydraulic pump but you have to slow right down when climbing because your reel and canvases slow down so much. Otherwise, on flat ground you can cut canola at 10 mph without too much trouble. If you make a mistake you can sure make a mess in a hurry though!

The HB header I do have some issues with. We've had an absolute b*tch of a time keeping the canvases aligned properly. I don't know if it's because I'm too stupid to figure it out or what but I just don't seem to be able to get them to track properly. I adjust them and they run fine for awhile and if I stop and check them a couple of hours later they are running against the top or bottom again. Part of the problem imho is that they make the canvases far too wide. I understand that they are trying to keep material from going underneath and wrapping but there is just no margin for error here. There's can't be much more than an 1/8 of an inch gap top and bottom when it's running centered. One neighbour had similar problems and their dealer put Macdon canvases on instead. We ended up ruining ours by the time we finished up.

As far as the JD's go I've never run one but there are several around home. From what I've heard the sight lines aren't that great, the first thing one neighbour did when he got his was pull the side mirrors off. I just can't believe JD is still using that same cab, it seems ancient now. I think the cab is definitely one bonus of the CNH power unit. They both seem to get the job done.

Sorry, that was a little long winded!

·
Registered
250 Posts
? on the Deere swathers.
Why are there so many 07 -09 machines at the Ritchie Bros (and other ) auctions last year and again in this years catalog? There have been as many of these newer Deeres as all other brands (newer machines) put together.
There are a couple JD in my area and I haven't heard anything bad about them. Lots of new Case machines replacing other brands around here lately. I still think the Older series CaseIH/Hesston tractor units were a beter/simpler more reliable machine. VERY happy with our 07 Hesston and have had great service out of our 01 8860 HP CaseIH w/HB header.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
how many remotes couple up to the tractor from the draper ? we bought a 07 1902 one without a front and are putting on a 960 mac don on it from a header

·
Registered
12 Posts
? on the Deere swathers.
Why are there so many 07 -09 machines at the Ritchie Bros (and other ) auctions last year and again in this years catalog? There have been as many of these newer Deeres as all other brands (newer machines) put together.
There are a couple JD in my area and I haven't heard anything bad about them. Lots of new Case machines replacing other brands around here lately. I still think the Older series CaseIH/Hesston tractor units were a beter/simpler more reliable machine. VERY happy with our 07 Hesston and have had great service out of our 01 8860 HP CaseIH w/HB header.
Hi. ry0972

You mentioned you have a Honey Bee header on your 8860. Does it fit right on the tractor unit or did you have to do some adapting? We have an 8860 with a 625 hay head and are looking to get a grain head for it. Just wondering what options of headers I can be looking for

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi. ry0972

You mentioned you have a Honey Bee header on your 8860. Does it fit right on the tractor unit or did you have to do some adapting? We have an 8860 with a 625 hay head and are looking to get a grain head for it. Just wondering what options of headers I can be looking for
I saw a heston equivalent of an 8860 on a dealers lot a couple years ago with a honeybee draper on the front. was a little odd to see so I looked it over! anyways there was an adapter on it that slid over the lift arms on the power unit and then extended sideways about 3" to line up with the holders on the header. they looked commercially made although who knows where they came from, but there are adaptor brackets out there somewhere! as far as the hydraulic plumbing I am not sure if there was any mods or if you can just change the plugs and go.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
You do realize on Saturday that will be the seventh birthday for that post?
Well ry0972 was online when he posted the question, so not bad timing!

Joe I would have started a newer more specific thread but I hope you get your answer. Welcome to the forum.

I would snoop around on Agdealer or Marketbook and see if there is any pictures of draper headers on the 8860, might give you some clues.:wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts