The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keeton seed firmer. Thompson closing wheel. I have 5 pro stich wheels. I would sooner have a seed firming wheel. Usually seedinto moisture, the Keetons don’t wear to bad

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Keeton seed firmer. Thompson closing wheel. I have 5 pro stich wheels. I would sooner have a seed firming wheel. Usually seedinto moisture, the Keetons don’t wear to bad

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I currently have a Pillar, while I’m not unhappy with it I mostly grow fall seeded crops and our moisture is almost always deep and marginal at fall seeding time. The Pillar usually does OK but I think having some more positive seed firming would be beneficial and that is why the P500 with Keetons interests me.

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts

I went with the Deere because of the firming wheel. I thought it would be more beneficial than the parallel link.

Now if only someone would build a drill with a firming wheel on a parallel link opener...

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts
I guess so, but it has a larger disc so will not cut residue as well as the 18"ers.

The walking beam also means that the closing wheel and firming wheel pressure are not adjustable independent of downpressure (gauge wheel).

It was a pretty hasty redesign from their original production in my opinion. I do not see the need for the walking beam with the parallel link setup. By discarding it, they could have separately adjustable pressures for both the firming and closing wheel very easily without too major of a redesign.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts