The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at purchasing a used one of these tractors. Preferably a 375, I like the cabs and the 15L Cummins. I have read some about tranny issues with the 24 speed manuals. I would have probably taken a manual over a power shift as it will be basically just a puller and I have always thought that the manuals will be less trouble and less cost to fix. Can anyone tell me anything bad or good about these machines, transmissions or otherwise. We would be looking for a low housed used machine preferably under 2000. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The PS have been very reliable and trouble free. Just calibrate it once a year. You couldn't give me a 24 speed, even for just a puller tractor. Other then a few electrical problems (minor) ours has been bluet proof. Cummins engines had lots of low end grunt if your looking for that. The Iveco's don't, but they pull good in their powerband.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Have had a STX375 2002 model for about 7 years now, it's done 5000hrs. Its got the 24speed apart from ongoing issues with the air con it's been trouble free. Sitting on 900 duals it pulls very hard and I'm happy with the fuel usage.
The cab is spacious and quiet, hydro flow is adequate it run a airseeder fan and liquid fert pump.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The 24 speed seems to make some noise, which the dealers say is normal. Ours has held together and seems to work good, and a 24 speed is a lot cheaper to buy than a ps. We bought our 425 used, and after looking at a lot of tractors including 6 or 7 tj/stx's we found most had significant engine vibration. Another thing people will tell you is normal. The odd one will run smooth though.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a 2002 tj375, with 24speed manual. The noise doesnt come from the transmission I dont think, it comes from the high/low powershift, at least on mine it does. Mine has done it since I bought it(at around 600hrs), and was told it is normal. I now have around 1500hrs on it.
I wouldnt say I have any other vibration. It is a nice quite smooth tractor. Pulls really well, burns a bit more fuel than the old 946 versatile, pulling the same load, but it is still good on fuel.
mine has 520r42 tires (duals) which at first I was a bit concerned about traction, but it has no shortage there either.
I pull a 50ft 10" space air drill. 300bu tank.
Very good tractor overall.
I have read online about transmission trouble also, but at what hours, and what application? Abuse? Who knows, im not concerned about mine, knock on wood!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys, I would take a P.S. Trans but they are harder to find low housed as well as lots of then ended up on a grain cart. I can handle some electrical issues just didn't want to buy trouble. From what I have read those 24 spds are quite pricey to work on. Do they still run that same trans in some new ones?

·
Registered
119 Posts
We had a 2002 TJ375. Dad bought it brand new. Traded it with just under 3000 hrs because we upgraded drills and ended more hydraulics and hp. Anyway it was powershift had zero issues in those hours. It did all our heavy field work as well as oilfield snowplowing. Calibrated transmission every now and then and it was good to go. The tractor was a little powerhouse. Unbelieveable pulling power and fuel consumption. The ISX had a sound to it that would make any diesel lover smile. To this day we wish it would hbe never left the farm. We shoulda put a pto on it and kept it for harrowing and the grain cart.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
We have a 02 stx 375 with PS. I would not have anything but a PS, no matter if it was free! We've had 0 major issues with this unit, have it 9 years. Not quite 3000 hrs on it. The TJ is the identical tractor really, just blue. We pull 50' 3320 PHD and 6450 with no problems. Only issue that's annoying is AC. There is a heater control valve under cab that is sticky, doesn't close or open when it should. A simple fix is to clamp the heater line, then you have great AC. I don't use it when you need heat anyway. We're thinking of going to 60 or 66' and will be keeping this unit, might put triples and chip on it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
We have a 02 stx 375 with PS. I would not have anything but a PS, no matter if it was free! We've had 0 major issues with this unit, have it 9 years. Not quite 3000 hrs on it. The TJ is the identical tractor really, just blue. We pull 50' 3320 PHD and 6450 with no problems. Only issue that's annoying is AC. There is a heater control valve under cab that is sticky, doesn't close or open when it should. A simple fix is to clamp the heater line, then you have great AC. I don't use it when you need heat anyway. We're thinking of going to 60 or 66' and will be keeping this unit, might put triples and chip on it.
No need to chip it. Call Cummins in Saskatoon and give them your engine serial number, and they can tell you what horsepower that it can be turned to. Cost me $375 to have mine tuned to 440hp. They verify what components are used and tune from there. Had mine done at 2500 hours and have 4950 on it now. Never had any major repairs, just the odd electrical issue.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have the Stx 375, has aprox 5000 hrs now, excellent tractor. I had a case 9370 and it's a way better cab, way better on fuel, I pull 40' and tractor just idles. Have had no issues at all, other than a speed sensor failing.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Have posted on other reveiws on this tractor and we had some gearbox issues on the 24 speed syncro. Our hi/lo clutch let go and did quite alot of damage to the transmission. That said it is very rare for this to happen and I would still buy the same tractor again. Happened at 6000 hrs was a faltless tractor till then.If anything does go wrong with the powershift trannys they are way cheaper to fix and part are far more readly available.
Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.