The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does material from the presieve go directly to clean grain or is it dumped on the front of the lower sieve. Book settings for wheat say to set presieve to notch 5 which is a 10mm opening. Others say to set it to the size of grain being harvested. If material does go through lower sieve why would you not set presieve the same as upper sieve. This presieve thing is confusing!! Does the presieve have a large effect on total airflow. This guy says what goes through the presieve does not go through the bottom sieve 8010 combine problem - Page 2 - General IH - Red Power Magazine Community

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
That goes straight into clean grain elevator. Some guys will say leave it closed and never touch it but most say only open the width of the seed you are harvesting. For wheat I open mine to the second notch.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Interesting. I guess all it does is go right on the front of the lower sieve. I suppose too much and it runs forward into fan? 10mm is too far open though I think as he pre-sieve isn't for cleaning but just for removing some of the seed to reduce load on sieve. There isn't much air flow through there I don't think but clearly I have been wrong before.:eek:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I set the presieve for wheat on notch 5. It does not go directly to clean grain. But it is helpful for top sieve load to use that cleaning area so as many seeds as possible go through it. It increases capacity. Every presieve is a bit different though I find, I take a drill bit to confirm width. On mine, 1 is still pretty much closed maybe 1/32, 2 is 3/32, 3 is 1/8, 4 3/16 and 5 is 1/4.

For canola, 1/8" is perfect. Wheat/barley/oats good at 1/4. Flax 1/8 might be too much if you have small seeds.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
The pre-sieve is really for corn. Don't trust the notches if you haven't adjusted the notched plate to your liking and needs. The 2nd notch on one machine might not be anything like the 2nd notch on the other machine. So visually inspect the pre-sieve. Adjust the bolts on the notched plate to give you consistent settings.

On the 7230, a pre-seive of about 1/8" on canola works pretty well, as nicemustang finds. On our 7120, though, the sample is way dirty at that setting. I have to close the pre-sieve almost all the way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just thinking. So IF the presieve is dumped on the front of the lower sieve why would its setting affect how clean or dirty the sample is. All the material would still need to pass through the lower sieve.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
In theory I can just close the bottom sieve to clean it but in practice this just starves the top sieve for air since we're already taking about such small opening. So I keep my bottom sieve open to at least four or five and close my top sieve down to clean (and my pre sieve)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Remember all of the cleaning is done by top sieve. Think of the presieve an extension to top sieve, as in more area. The more it can clean, the more goes through easily with out it overloading. Basically everything that comes through to bottom sieve should really end up in the tank somewhat, the bottom sieve just controls airflow. The faster and earlier you get the grain onto bottom sieve, faster it gets in the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Just found this fancy little animation Normal Wheat Settings for Flagship 30 Series, 20 Series and 10 Series Axial Flows | Case IH Harvesting looks like grain is dumped on front of sieve.
That link would/could be very beneficial for all owners of "red" gear around the world ..... but apparently not in OZ. For some unknown reason, OZ owners of "red" toys can't look as this - "blocked in your country" is the title from big red! :(
I might be mistaken but I thought red toys made in GI are the same red toys we get in OZ ........ apparently not. NA red machines must be "more secretive" than the same red machines we get in OZ!:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Just thinking. So IF the presieve is dumped on the front of the lower sieve why would its setting affect how clean or dirty the sample is. All the material would still need to pass through the lower sieve.
I wonder if there is less air at the front of the lower sieve? Also if that grain falls through the pre-sieve faster than it is shuffled back on the lower sieve it may run over the front of the front and be blown directly into the clean grain system? Just some thoughts. I think maybe I have learned a bit about my combines here, thanks guys.:) I also feel like I may have been lied to sometime ago...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
That link would/could be very beneficial for all owners of "red" gear around the world ..... but apparently not in OZ. For some unknown reason, OZ owners of "red" toys can't look as this - "blocked in your country" is the title from big red! :(
I might be mistaken but I thought red toys made in GI are the same red toys we get in OZ ........ apparently not. NA red machines must be "more secretive" than the same red machines we get in OZ!:confused:
The person who did the website purchased a certificate only valid in north America. You're not missing anything that isn't already available to you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
CASEIH this is a very annoying feature if u are listening!!!!
Please change it. Why can I look up any other crap in the world but cnh won't let Aussies look at their own website?

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Very strange that you're seeing this message, snides and other folks down there. I don't see any certificates involved, nicemustang. So any block would seem to be local. Also, we can access any country-specific CaseIH web site. Weird that you are blocked. Probably blocked in Australia. I don't think the blocks originate in NA.

As was said caseihharvesting.com is not from Case. However the simulation animation is from Case, it originally came on the AFS disk that shipped with the combines themselves. Funny that Case never put it online themselves.

Is this direct link to the animation file blocked (on the caseihharvesting site)?
http://caseihharvesting.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/af-sim.swf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.