The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
Do you have a small grains concave in it and what type of APS grates? These combines have a tough time when the wheat straw is over ripe and rotten. I like the smooth slotted APS grate and keep it open in wheat all the time. I would try run the cylinder slower at 650 so it does not chew up the straw and remove the key stock APS grates if there in. You want to keep the straw as whole as possible. A TM6 top sieve would greatly help. What is your top sieve set at? Where are the losses coming from? If it is sieve loss you should put some rotor plates in so all the straw is not dropping on to the shoe. If it is rotor loss speed up the rotor to 980. If you do not have sieve loss you could close the top sieve to keep some of the straw bits off of the lower sieve. How much straw and grain is in the tailings?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Open your side panel and measure concave clearance your linkage might worn I run my cab setting at 3 which is really 10. I switched rotor pulleys front to rear and belt runs on outside to get 960 rotor speed because I didn't have factory pulleys that would run that fast.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Just bought a Cat 480 having a hard time cleaning the sample up in wheat. Lots of straw and half heads in closed cleaning sieve to 3 and turned up wind to 1480 form 1300 nothing helps anyone with any ideas. Thanks
Those half heads would indicate that you are not getting a complete thresh the first time through the cylinder or the concave openings are too big and are letting part heads through before they are threshed. I have run a 480 for 11 years and have little trouble with whitecaps. Not saying my way is the only way, but the combination that has worked for me is the 6.5 mm aps concave with keystock, intensive threshing segments in, Sunnybrook cylinder, since this was a corn machine with 18 mm oval slots on the main concave I made filler bars to go under the first 4 concave openings. I generally run the concave clearance about 10-15 mm and the cylinder speed 700-800 rpm. Are your rub bars or concave keystocks worn? It will crack 1-2% of wheat easily unless you adjust for dry conditions but I have always been able to find a balance of good threshing at the cylinder and minimal cracking ( 1/4 - 1/2 %). That clean threshing of the entire amount of throughput keeps the return acceptable and allows the rotors to do their job and the sieves to be able to separate the clean grain from chaff and straw. I set up my 590 the same except for having the small grains wire concave and it does a similar job. I used to hear about several Lexion owners that had whitecap problems while I was not, so stuck to my plan. I hope something here helps you, because that 480 will thresh wheat! There are some other good suggestions in this post as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Other good suggestions here already. Fan speed must be much higher, unless wheat is very light. Run mine 1600 - 1650 rpm. Sieve should be at 5-7mm depending on size of wheat. Chaffer at 12-14mm.
Do you possibly have a missing piece in your sieve that is letting small heads through?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
You might check that you have good belt tension on the shoe rocker shaft drive. Most first time owners don't realize you have to loosen the idler pulley for it to tension periodically. Same with straw chopper 1st stage drive.

Even a worn out 480 will get a good sample with good fan and sieve settings at a high rate of return.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.