The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on where to find idler wheel tire. Having trouble sourcing one. Any advice? As well should we put both tires on when it is off, and do people still recommend putiing foam in those tires? Has worked great with air until now and foam is both expensive and hard to get done here.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Wondering what you or anyone else did with this.
Our first 65A had foam filled. Sold quite a few years ago and new owner has had no issues. Our tire guy can foam fill but pretty expensive.
Our second 65A obviously isn't foam filled had one go down so we matched up a 900/20. Now the second one on same side went down did a fair bit of damage as operator didn't notice.
Options are two truck 900/20's on one side or two new Cat ones and foam fill those and two on other side. $$. Or 4 new or used idlers off of a C to E series CAT.
Do the front idlers off of a C to E fit?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Most here updated to the newer idlers on the early Challengers. I'm not sure of the details but they were a pita going flat on the steep hillsides I was told.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up with 2 new tires from Cat - over $2000 Canadian each; in researching was told could not update; tire dealer also said foam would not have saved tire-probably 30 year old tire. Now have used spare if needed. Next issue is track alignment -can't believe the shim procedure they use; both hard to get at and hard to do on the older ones. Have to remove track and tires, then unbolt front axle stub; reshim and try again to see if aligned. Some engineer was out of his mind when he designed that. Never thought of that issue when I bought the old Cat as Claas track alignment is so easy. Any advice on ways to cheat on aligning? I was told to try adjusting tire pressure?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts