The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
That would be a nice set-up if it could be done.... but the driveshaft arrangement would be difficult to work out. The transmission and (final) drive shafts are on the front of the front axle on a Deere combine. Whereas, the CAT / Lexion has their transmission and drive shaft on the back side of the front axle. Consequently, Lexions do have a longer wheel base, which also means better fore-aft stability with larger headers. The subsequent trade off is it's larger turning radius. The only way you might consider working out the driveshaft alignment would be to turn the track systems around by switching them left for right.... Unfortunately, that would put the track "driver wheels" out front.... and that would NOT work very well in most conditions. Alignment could be a big and frequent problem.
The only other feasible option would be to unbolt the complete front axle from under a Cat / Lexion and install it under the front of a Deere 9600... That is pretty difficult since the JD front axle is a welded in place installation. It would take a lot of blue torch gas and welding. That would not make much sense, since you could just run the CAT 465 and have a better machine that designed and built with tracks from the factory.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The amount of torque an old 9600 can apply to the drive shafts is a fraction of what today's new combines can put out. I'd venture to guess it would be a pretty huge load for the drive train setup to turn those tracks. I doubt you could operate in the field in anything but 1st gear unless you are 100% flat. Just a thought... Even this year Case increased the hydro power capacity by 20% just because there we so many complaints of not enough power to turn the tracks on these new combines.
100% incorrect info here.

Tons of not only 9600's have had tracks, but 8820's, 7700's, and even 105's have had steel tracks, with later machines getting aftermarket rubber tracks.

You have to fully understand how a track system works first.......

You have a drive tire that is 5.5ft tall, you have a drive wheel in a track that is 2ft tall. That equates to a huge decrease in your final ratio to the ground. Not only would you not run in 1st gear with a 9600 and a set of tracks, you'd probably find 2nd gear offly slow.

I've never ran tracks on my 9610, but my 8820 does just fine in 3rd gear buried in the mud, and it will only do 4.1mph hydrostat full forward in 3rd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.