The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all Caterpillar 3208 basic engines the same? I need one to go into a Ford Louisville LN8000. A likely source would be out of a NH TR85.

So will it drop straight in?

Will it need minor things swapped, like a bell housing, flywheel, etc?

Or are there major differences that mean it won't work?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The Louisville, is that a turbo engine or naturally aspirated. Out of curiosity as long ago we had a TR 70 ( definitely no turbo ) and then a TR 95 which had the turbo. The TR 85, that doesn't have a turbo does it ?. The reason I bring this up is that according to what I have read since I didn't know either is that there are some differences between the non turbo and turbo engines such as no oil cooling jets under the cylinders of the non turbo engine and also a different casting on the turbo block due to the turbo mount. Some differences through the hp ratings with the amount of oil the pan held and also the compression ratio. I never found a definitive info site but this video might be of some interest. No idea if there was some odd difference as per combine vs truck vs marine engine beyond the bit of info I happened to find. Its a starting point anyway just knowing there is some differences between the lower hp versions of non turbo vs turbo engine.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I swapped one from a floater into a White 2255 tractor. I don't recall anything serious needing changed out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We have a terra gator with a 3208 that has Ford castings all over it. As others said turbo or non would be the biggest difference. Only other real difference when we changed our out was front crank pulley. Some have different numbers of belt grooves

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably should have mentioned, the one I want to replace is non-turbo. I don't want to upgrade to one with a turbo, because I don't want to overload the driveline and I doubt the turbo itself would physically fit against the firewall anyway.

I believe the TR85 is non-turbo, but the TR95 has a turbo? But I don't know for sure.

I can swap flywheels, crank pulleys, etc. Things like different dipstick locations or things like that, I could live with.

Just pretty much need to know if it will fit between the radiator and the transmission. Minor things I can overcome, but the easier it is, the better it will be.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I only thing I remember about using the combine engine in a Ford truck was that the oil filters are different.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m not positive about this but I thought the governors are different on a truck engine but even so, that could be swapped out

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Yes, without a doubt at least the later TR 95 was a turbo engine, I think 240 hp. I found some information on the TR 85 although it was more of a blanket all years grouped together spec so not sure if that is 100% reliable but it said non turbo 175 hp rated.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I find that too with the info online saying TR 95 being 225 hp but I have a feeling due to ours being one of the later units they upped the hp, don't have the combine anymore to look at the sticker but pretty sure it was 240. Sometimes there are quirks as manufactures start gearing up for the next model. Not that this is of any worry for CTS2 since the non turbo engine from factory is probably the best choice for the swap so hopefully exhaust manifolds and so on just fall into place onto the existing exhaust system.

One thing is for sure, combine engines would not have been lugged during their life, yes screaming at top rpm instead.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I believe that you could swap any parts from the original to the replacement with no issues especially if you can keep the old one for the parts and pattern

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
One thing is for sure, combine engines would not have been lugged during their life, yes screaming at top rpm instead.
Which is exactly what the 3208 was meant to do.

Reactions: Northern Farmer
1 - 12 of 12 Posts