· air ride suspension
· T100 high tensile steel frame
· Plastic wrap around fenders
· 1632 BU. Heaped volume
· Zinc rich powder coat primer
· Powder coat finish on complete unit

Integrated Hydraulic Auger System

· Does not require removal for hauling to the elevator
· Remote control for augers (On/Off and speed)
· Single unload spot

We would like to have some feed back on this new Hopper Bottom Trailer.
Please call John Regehr @ 1403 546 3851
Home - CBI Manufacturing

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
It looks like an awesome idea very slick. I don't think I would buy one because i wold be concerned about longevity issues given the extra complexity of the augers and also price would be too high for me. I would suggest you look at increasing the size of the openings in the bottom of the trailer for unloading at the elevator or into big augers when filling bins at harvest.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I own one of these trailers and love it.
Yes it does cost more than a regular triaxle but once you get used to unloading without needing to move the truck and get out to swing auger under trailer you quickly forget about the price difference. Also very convenient to not have to take off augers to unload at elevator.
I got the windows added into the sidewall later makes it very easy to see if hoppper emtied out completely without having to climb up trailer.
One thing I would reccomend is puttining a light in all 3 hoppers. There is a light in the front on the first hopper but can only see in first hopper at night through the windows in the sidewall. I think I will add 2 more lights, one for each hopper this winter.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Looks like a well thought out trailer. Very versatile.

What size are the augers, and what is the grain flow capacity of them?

Are the auger speeds controlled by the remote for when loading from on top of the grain drill?

What capacity and flow is required to run the hydraulics?

Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
While this appears to be a very well executed design, I can't see any application for it in an operation like ours.

The steel construction, three hoppers, three axles and on board auger system imply a high empty weight. In addition, the short overall length wouldn't play well with our state's GVW rules. Our trailers spend far more time on the highway than tending the drill and the cost of this unit puts its use as a dedicated drill tender out of the question.

That said, there are probably enough trust fund babies, cool kids standing in line to buy the latest neat toy and guys who have to farm around pump jacks on every quarter to create a demand for at least a few dozen of these trailers a year. I hope the manufacturer is successful in tapping into this market. :D

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Auger size is 10"with no elbows, so it feed straight from the hopper right in to your 13'' auger to your bins.
It has no problem keeping up to the 13''auger.
-We put a 13 gal pump set at 2500 psi for the hydraulics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I own one of these trailers and love it.
Yes it does cost more than a regular triaxle but once you get used to unloading without needing to move the truck and get out to swing auger under trailer you quickly forget about the price difference. Also very convenient to not have to take off augers to unload at elevator.
I got the windows added into the sidewall later makes it very easy to see if hoppper emtied out completely without having to climb up trailer.
One thing I would reccomend is puttining a light in all 3 hoppers. There is a light in the front on the first hopper but can only see in first hopper at night through the windows in the sidewall. I think I will add 2 more lights, one for each hopper this winter.
Thanks for sharing your information about or hopper bottom. we can always put more lights in for you if needed.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Grandpa Mark that's only ~$79,000 in US funds, not sure if that will change your opinion. Our laws are different up here regarding axles and such. We don't need those silly lift axles or really long trailers. You have to remember too that most Canadian built trailers are higher quality than US too.

Thanks CBI for posting a price, answering questions and innovating. It might not be the answer for most but it might do the trick for some. Filling the air seeder cart has a lot of people trying to figure out what's best for them. The more ideas the better.
I don't think its for me though.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Grandpa Mark that's only ~$79,000 in US funds, not sure if that will change your opinion. Our laws are different up here regarding axles and such. We don't need those silly lift axles or really long trailers. You have to remember too that most Canadian built trailers are higher quality than US too.

Thanks CBI for posting a price, answering questions and innovating. It might not be the answer for most but it might do the trick for some. Filling the air seeder cart has a lot of people trying to figure out what's best for them. The more ideas the better.
I don't think its for me though.
Oh oh. ;)

Indeed, I find that rather brave actually but very forthright.:)

I know the family that own and run CBI, I know the young fellow that designed this trailer and I have a friend that was a charter member of owning one. Hey, I only live 30 km from Linden!;)
This trailer is a very solid product backed by good people.:)

·
Registered
209 Posts
For $79K I can buy a trailer, convert it to a drill tender, buy another truck to pull it and have some cash left over. So, for that matter, could you or any number of folks on this board.

I know our GVW rules are different than yours. I've also driven on your roads. Maybe our system, as aggravating as it can be, actually has some merit. :rolleyes:

As far as quality goes, trailers are pretty old technology. Figuring out how to build ones that last isn't anything remarkable. I have two aluminum trailers, one a 35 year old Chamberlain, the other a 26 year old Wilson. Both have hauled lots of fertilizer, neither has any corrosion. Steel trailers, regardless of how carefully they are constructed, don't last that long, at least in my experience.

As I stated previously, this new design appears to be very well thought out. For a certain segment of the market it's likely to be a big hit. For the average guy, and especially those of us south of 49, not so much.

I'm not criticizing, just being realistic.

Mark

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Looks like a well thought out design. My fields in spring would be iffy to support a loaded trailer like that though. Some years have trouble with 3tons. It would be ideal for a one man seeding set up though, really like that. Like how the augers come out above and are high enough to not have issues with a swing auger in fall.

Price doesn't seem out of line, pricing a new tridem through Doepker and loaded with lift axles is touching 65k. To add augers was told I would be looking at another 7-10K.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Carefully avoided answering what the trailer weighs. Obvious competition is a 3 hopper doepker or lode king tridem with Michels augers. CBI trailer does away with the hassle of installing the Michels augers, but at what weight or $$ penalty.

Obviously the smaller the penalty the more you will sell.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.