The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to seed some winter wheat again this fall.
Have grown CDC Ptarmigan in the past but with it being a soft white winter wheat the only marketing options are as feed.

Have heard good reports on CDC Buteo and like the marketing flexibility. Any comments from growers?

As far as I can tell there are no PBR restrictions on this variety? If it now has PBR then my apologies - I will source certified. If not, does anyone know of a source of common seed within 40 miles of Outlook, SK?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Been growing Buteo for 3 years now. It's been excellent for us. 2 years in a row we've had 60+ bu/a in an area where we haven't grown great crops in the past. The quality was bad the first year, only made feed, but was still worth $7.30. Last years is still in the bin, it's a marginal 1 by protein. Samples are coming back 10.8 to 11.4% protein. Still trying to find the right price to sell at.

This years looks excellent. It could be the year to beat our average. I'm really hoping that a few fields break 75.

As far as I know it doesn't have any PBR restrictions. I bought common seed, but the agronomists told me it was Buteo 2 years ago.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Been growing Buteo for 3 years now. It's been excellent for us. 2 years in a row we've had 60+ bu/a in an area where we haven't grown great crops in the past. The quality was bad the first year, only made feed, but was still worth $7.30. Last years is still in the bin, it's a marginal 1 by protein. Samples are coming back 10.8 to 11.4% protein. Still trying to find the right price to sell at.

This years looks excellent. It could be the year to beat our average. I'm really hoping that a few fields break 75.

As far as I know it doesn't have any PBR restrictions. I bought common seed, but the agronomists told me it was Buteo 2 years ago.
That's what we got for yield too. 65. Had it side by side raptor, which isn't a great variety itself, and the raptor beat it by 15 bushels. Always looked like 100+. But like I said it performs better elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That's what we got for yield too. 65. Had it side by side raptor, which isn't a great variety itself, and the raptor beat it by 15 bushels. Always looked like 100+. But like I said it performs better elsewhere.
We're in a pretty low yielding area normally. The first year our Durum averaged 33 bu/ac which is pretty decent.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have grown Buteo for a couple years.
The winter hardiness seems to be decent.
Last year, most winter wheat in our area was written off. Ours looked pretty bad as well but we let it grow because the field was so wet we couldn't get on it to reseed. I was expecting it to be a disaster but most of the bare spots eventually started growing. It ended up yielding 55bpa. Pretty happy with that considering how awful it looked early on. It had a bit of vomitoxin in the sample but it all ended up going for milling.
I would like to try a new variety called Emerson. It has a R rating for FHB. The yield data from the last couple years also show quite an advantage over Buteo and Falcon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.