The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at upgrading to an R62 that has a standard rotor. Dealers wants $10,000 for a new CDF rotor. I was going do the hyper upgrades to the rotor and cage. Is it worth the money to go to a CDF rotor.

·
Registered
218 Posts
$10,000 is a lot. It is not hard to remove and change the rotor. Two guys, a forklift/bobcat/loader tractor, a bar to pry and some 1x's to slide it out on is all you need. Check out prices from Precision Farm Parts or Sunnybrook Welding, will most definitely be less than $10,000.

I have a R72 with a Sunnybrook (similar to the PFP and CDF rotor) and a R72 with the standard rotor. IMO the staggered bar enclosed rotors can overthrash and build up material on the cage, also we had a tad bit more loss with the staggered bar enclosed rotor but negligible on both rotors. The original open rotor will vibrate more due to material getting under the bars and causing it to go out of balance. Capacity is better with the enclosed rotors, as well as it grinds up the straw more.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would not replace a perfectly good standard rotor with a CDF/Precision/Sunnybrook, because I don't think the payoff is there. However, when the time comes where you don't think the original rotor is performing or if you run a rock through or whatever, then I'd not hesitate to go PFP/Sunnybrook on the second go around.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
We've been modifying rotors for many years -- 6 rows of bars, agitation sweeps. The CDF is licensed off our patent (except that the bars are mounted incorrectly) and I suspect that the staggered bars are to get around our patent. Cost of the rotor itself is $2636.00 and if your current bars are good, we can install them on it. email: [email protected] (800) 549-3289 Hope this helps.

·
Registered
104 Posts
First try of my cdf in my r76 putting all foward bar shimed 1/2, sunnybrook sweep and fast pitch on thresher side , harsvesting oats and lot of rotor loss what i'm missing thanks for the help

·
Registered
218 Posts
First try of my cdf in my r76 putting all foward bar shimed 1/2, sunnybrook sweep and fast pitch on thresher side , harsvesting oats and lot of rotor loss what i'm missing thanks for the help
A lot people will say to never put reverse bars in. I'm not sure about it but I know the machines that we run that have the reverse bars have less rotor loss. Sure, capacity may not be as much, but it's up to you on what you value more, speed or a little extra grain. Try putting in a pair or two pairs of reverse bars on the separator side. Also, maybe try to slow the rotor down a little to see if that helps, maybe it will keep it in there a little longer. I've heard tightening the grate on the separator side can also help.

·
Registered
546 Posts
When the crop is damp we run more rotor speed in beans to prevent rotor loss, then as it dry's down we slow it back down. Also we had more loss in wheat and less power to boot with the stock set-up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
CDF rotor thought
1. If you aren't going to modify it don't buy it.

If you want lots of loss in wheat and corn leave the sweeps on. Might be a benefit in soybeans but I never have combined them so I am no help. I couldn't clean up loss without adding F2 bar to front side of separator grate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts