The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
912 JD Pickup

Just put new pickup belts on the centre ones seen to be a bit loose but not to bad. For some reason after a bit the outside two keep getting a build up of crushed canola under them making the centre ones quite loose and wanting to stall. Crop is a bit weedy but i have never had this problem before

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I've experienced that before and usually that's when its not the driest straw wise and there is green growth such as weeds or canola stubble trying to regrow and has green leaves and flowers. All I could do is reach into the belts ( loosening them first ) and scrape down the rollers and the inside of the belt the best I could. Also with some wear on the rubberized drive roller, the rubber on the center few belt drive surfaces wears down more then the rubber on the ends of the roller so even if the rollers are clean and its a whole new set of belts, the center ones will be somewhat loose when the outside ones are tight. Unfortunately from what I've been told the only cure is to buy a new drive roller.

The only other thing I can suggest right now is that you make sure you don't have the pickup belt fingers running any lower then you have to so there is a chance you might be able to drop your tires to raise the fingers from the ground and not catch quite as many moist objects close to the ground, also run the pickup no faster then you need to in picking up the canola.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes we are experiencing rather wet conditions here in southern Sask. with under growth, I have been cleaning the rollers and that seems to help, the old pickup i have doesn't even have the rubber on it and is the smaller roller. I can't say it never had the rubber on it as I just bought it a couple years ago.
With these conditions I also get damp straw cumulating under the chain buy the drive sprockets of my new feeder chain causing them to make a clicking noise.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I don't know the history of when JD started putting that funky rubber buildup on the drive roller but I expect it helps with traction but comes with that downside of uneven wear from end to end of the roller. What I have done sometimes is buy new belts for the center and move the old center ones if still serviceable to the outside as then the old ones maybe slightly longer then the new ones and I can get the tension/slack set up a bit better across the pickup.

We got an inch or less I would say and I haven't driven around to look at standing crop to see if it did anything so am only guessing to say that I doubt it went and pulled everything down. Luckily we finished our standing wheat just a few days ago and got onto swathed canola which this little dusting won't hurt. Now if it would warm up and dry out and stay that way for a while so we could get back at it and maybe one of these days get he rest of the crop off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got thinking last night my pickup has a a chain on the left side that drives the bottom roller so both the top and the bottom roller drive. i was thinking of putting some no slip
step tape on the centre rollers that stuff would be nasty aggressive.

Been raining here every couple days, lucky to get 2 good days in a row to work in the field. sitting at 5C at 10 am about .2 rain last night. Having to leave some canola in the water the is the first time i have ever had to leave swaths. going to be another interesting year!!

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Hmmm interesting, I didn't know JD had made a double drive roller system but our past TR 95 had a victory Super 8 pickup and it did have the chain on the left hand end to drive both rollers and that seemed to work good and just used bare steel rollers in that case.

That is an interesting idea in trying out the gritty step tape but I would suggest you have some spare belts or know that you could get some at a moments notice in case you chewed out the ones you have as I doubt time will be on your side this fall. We're far from the finish line ourselves so who knows what we will get weather wise and canola we know wouldn't be ready yet even if the sun comes out of hiding ... feels like winter here as it was at the freezing point all morning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm interesting, I didn't know JD had made a double drive roller system but our past TR 95 had a victory Super 8 pickup and it did have the chain on the left hand end to drive both rollers and that seemed to work good and just used bare steel rollers in that case.

That is an interesting idea in trying out the gritty step tape but I would suggest you have some spare belts or know that you could get some at a moments notice in case you chewed out the ones you have as I doubt time will be on your side this fall. We're far from the finish line ourselves so who knows what we will get weather wise and canola we know wouldn't be ready yet even if the sun comes out of hiding ... feels like winter here as it was at the freezing point all morning.
I never thought it could be a different brand pickup as i bought it used, better go out and see if there is any marlins on the pickup itself good thing the JD belts fit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.