The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
This sounds terrible, but being from Central AB and seeing the same weather pattern since middle of June think you have to ask yourself why are there swaths out there at all - except canola(some people would even argue this)? There was more combining in this area in August than is ever typical - even swaths - , the cereal crops for the most part are not lodged like snow did last year, and yet there were more of these things swathed 10days ago when every forecast I could find said it was going to rain(have not seen snow or anything else that may make a case for swathing in any forecast). There has been a lot of very good priced/good quantity of malt barley around here been turned into sure feed over past 2 wks. The cereals left standing will still handle sooner, be less tough.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Major downside is we have a straight cut header but decided to swath this year. Probably would have all the wheat done already before the rain! Canola would be all that's left. Well we live and learn.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I assume a lot of the extra swathing is because of the late maturing / green patches (??). we have a home made swath turner out in the scrap row somewhere. I guess it helped to get the windrows in a little faster, but the unfortunate thing is that by the time the ground was dry enough to do it usually the sprouting damage was already done!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started turning crop today, planning to combine wheat tomorrow.
It has started sprouting, thinking of dropping straw and baling, might work for a bit of feed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I assume a lot of the extra swathing is because of the late maturing / green patches (??). we have a home made swath turner out in the scrap row somewhere. I guess it helped to get the windrows in a little faster, but the unfortunate thing is that by the time the ground was dry enough to do it usually the sprouting damage was already done!
Do you have still have your home made swath turner kicking around?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts