The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some tips for the best way to replace them. Is best to completely seperate the halves of the tractor so there's room to work or is it possible to just slide them apart enough to get at the bushings. Are any special tools needed.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Need some tips for the best way to replace them. Is best to completely seperate the halves of the tractor so there's room to work or is it possible to just slide them apart enough to get at the bushings. Are any special tools needed.
Read someplace switch the hoses on one steering cyl and use the steering wheel to push the halves apart.
Apply park brake then only have to roll the back half on a rolling jack.
And disconnect some stuff like maybe driveshaft and hyd cables, top steering links?
Better free up some hyd lines too I'm thinking.
Need what maybe 12 inch to get to that centre pivot ball?
It sounded not that bad an idea if the hyd hoses are long enough running through the pivot area.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Read someplace switch the hoses on one steering cyl and use the steering wheel to push the halves apart.
Apply park brake then only have to roll the back half on a rolling jack.
And disconnect some stuff like maybe driveshaft and hyd cables, top steering links?
Better free up some hyd lines too I'm thinking.
Need what maybe 12 inch to get to that centre pivot ball?
It sounded not that bad an idea if the hyd hoses are long enough running through the pivot area.
That’s what we did on our 876. Dealer told us that’s how they did it. It’s been a while but I think it was only drive shaft and steering links we had to take apart. The rest had enough room to move back. Every tractor is different though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
20201202_172408.jpg

like this? Block up the front half. Then I use a floor jack under the draw bar front pin. Roll the back half back a few feet and block up... usually the big center articulation pin is seized in solid...on mine anyway. I did my 800 2 winters ago and my 850 this past winter. Built my own pins on my lathe. Saved a few $$$ that way. Cost about $1000 for the 11 eyeball bearings at the local supply store. $250 for 1144 stressproof round stock and a few days labour on the lathe.
20191231_102412.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you do with the driveshaft? Does it slide off of the output shaft on transmission or do you need to take the u joints apart?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts