1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us treat every acre?

Only what goes in super early?

Only certain crops?

We usually do the wheat b/c it is going into cold soil, and barley/oats only if it's bin run seed...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I treat always treat my peas and durum - peas bc they go in so early and we have weevils, durum because it can still get smuts and to try and keep fusarium a bay a bit. I have been doing lentils just because they are worth quit a bit and seed treatment is relatively cheap at a bushels an acre. HRS will depend on soil conditions and what the fungal screen on the germ tests looked like.

I don't have real bad wireworms, not really sold on the insecticide part unless you do, so peas are the only crop I put insecticide on. As far as yields go its not always going to give a big bump but then some years it does.... We go into some pretty cool soils. Pulses I definitely see it pay more consistently than cereals. I check all my seed, what product I use will be determined a lot by what comes up on the fungal screen...

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
It depends on what area you are in...you see a lot of guys skipping the treatments these days but those guys are in southern AB or MB where I assume is much warmer than what we are dealing with up here.

For us, we seed peas as soon as the field is dry enough, maybe the soil is only 5 degrees or less. Then we move into wheat and conditions aren't much better. Then into canola. By that time usually it has warmed up enough that you could probably skip it. However we always do the barley since it can have some problems in the soil. I have never treated oats and that's usually our last crop seeded. I'm not sure it makes the crop yield better however you get better emergence and early season vigor. Plants are healthy and even which helps with plant stand and weed control.

For peas we're going with Apron Maxx with Intego. Peas are worth too much money to risk not having a good stand or with the intego, it should help with the root rot issues.

For cereals we are using Vibrance quattro. I like the syngenta program the best because we use axial and quilt, it's by far the cheapest option. Although I have 5 jugs of raxil pro to use as well that we bought to qualify for a discount on something too (can't exactly remember). For what its worth, I like the storm treater system. I can't afford one but get co-op to do our stuff we have on farm. $0.50/bus but nice even coverage and beats putting directly into air seeder tank.

·
Registered
594 Posts
We never treat durum or springwheat at seeding time. I'm sure that some years it may help, but we tend to seed later than some whether it is intentional or due to lack of organization i'll never know...

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with SWMan, I've cut out seed treatment on the wheat for 5 years now after doing some trials, no financial benefit.

My seeding rate is on the higher side so I can afford to lose a certain % of plants without affecting the stand.

It makes seeding the wheat a pleasure, fill up and go!! Clean out is a breeze with no risk of contamination.

Took that money and reallocated it to fertility and fungicides where I find there is an actual payback.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agree with SWMan, I used to treat everything then was noticing the last bit of seed before switching varieties usually wasn't treated and it was never at a loss so I began trying larger areas without it and have now gone away from it. I still will try a bit from time to time to check on this and have yet to notice a difference that pays, I have seen almost equal number of yield reduction results as yield improvement results and have yet to see more than 1.5 bu increase from treatments so when I factor in the cost of treatments vs yield results I have decided to run without them.

I will say that this is my experience in my local area and conditions, dealing with plant diseases not insects.

·
Registered
31 Posts
what i want to try this year is only treating the outside rounds due to an excess of harmful worms/bugs wintering in the headlands, tree piles and slough grasses. With "the pink ****" haha

Also i will be testing other seed treatments in test strips such as...

best- seed germination Best Farming Systems Products
stoller- bio-forge, stimulate Stimulate Plus Bio-Forge | Stoller Enterprises Ltd. | Ethylene Management
Atp nutrion- preCede seed treatment PreCede Canola | ATP Nutrition
NutriRx- emerge seed treatment Emerge Canola | NutriRX

some of these products are advertised to be hormone products, fertilizer coatings, or microbial stimulators
I am trying these to see whats effective and whats not but a liquid fert rep told me not to waste my money on "the pink ****" so i found all the other "snake oil" companies and will search for the truth haha

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What insecticide do you guys have for wireworm?

Anyway, regarding seed treatments for manganese, micronutrients, nutri booster or any of that lark- it's balls. Just spray the crop once it has emerged. WAAAAAAY cheaper.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
Also i will be testing other seed treatments in test strips such as...

best- seed germination Best Farming Systems Products
stoller- bio-forge, stimulate Stimulate Plus Bio-Forge | Stoller Enterprises Ltd. | Ethylene Management
Atp nutrion- preCede seed treatment PreCede Canola | ATP Nutrition
NutriRx- emerge seed treatment Emerge Canola | NutriRX

some of these products are advertised to be hormone products, fertilizer coatings, or microbial stimulators
I am trying these to see whats effective and whats not but a liquid fert rep told me not to waste my money on "the pink ****" so i found all the other "snake oil" companies and will search for the truth haha
Do a replicated field-scale trial and get back to us with the results.:wink:

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
I have never seen a side by side response from seed treatment in a few years of trying it. Don't have wireworms or cutworms, and don't grow barley.
Did 7 replications on Cruisermaxx Pulses for PLW in a pretty bad forecasted year and didn't have any yield response to untreated either.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
SWMan i'll let you know my field scale trail results fall of 2017, im really hoping the hormone products are what they're said to be
Hmmm, what about 2016? I know it's been warm in Alberta but you haven't seeded your crop yet have you?

Hormone stuff may have merit, can't say myself yet for sure.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Treated barley years ago, don't grow it now. Never treated wheat, agree on the contamination, segregation, clean out of air seeder issues that I don't miss. Canola seed always treated, f'ing beetles! Must been low demand given the huge amount of advertising by chem Co's.:54:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Dad gave up on seed treatments a long time ago and I tried some trials over the last few years and never saw a difference. Best yielding crops were the ones not treated because they gott more rain. Kind of like fungicide you only need it if you really need it. Thats in cold peace country gumbo soil 5 days after the snow melts off the field. soil temp 8.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts