The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We windrowed about every acre last summer behind the 740 Lexion in wheat for bales of straw. It looks like demand might have us doing the same thing again, if we raise a crop. I am still interested in getting chaff on top of the windrow to make the straw be more appealing to the cattle. The combine is a 2011 with the typical double hydraulic spinners behind the chaffer and the flip down redekop chopper in the very back.

I am considering buying or making something to get the chaff onto the windrow for the round baler. It appears some time ago, Haybuster and Redekop built there own add-on to make this happen. Any insight with these products or a home-made design on a Lexion would be appreciated.

Here are a few links.
https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/12-claas-lexion/25498-how-get-chaff-top-straw-windrow-baler.html
https://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/12-claas-lexion/326811-blowing-chaff-top-straw-windrow.html

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do those spinners move enough air to blow it through a chute around the chopper? If it would, that would be simpler (but ugly) than trying to retrofit an old chaff saver to your big Lex.

Give the spreaders a quarter turn so they blow straight back, through some trunking, with a quick 45 and diffuser on either side of the swath.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TLCC, that is very much what I picture in the back of my mind, but doing it and accomplishing it have yet to happen. Would like to explore all options.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I built a chaff blower from scratch to go on our 751 PT way back. So it can be done. It was for blowing into a wagon, but would be easily adapted to dropping.

The trouble with designing your own, is that it is nearly impossible to trial run it anywhere except a ripe grain crop, and there is a distinct lack of time to mess around with testing, adjusting and modifying a design when also trying to get the crop off.

Redirecting the existing spinners to blow it either around or through the straw sounds like the simplest idea, but if it involves any kind of chutes with potential to plug, and hold up harvest, there may be some bad words used.

On second thought, I see that you are in Missouri, so likely your harvest window and weather is a little better than what we endure around here, so, probably not so worried about losing a few hours, or soaking wet chaff plugging up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is what I came up with and it is working good. Needs a few mods but good for version 1.0.
If it rains on this it takes forever to dry! But if you’re selling straw it probably is a selling feature. Did it for years, cows liked it because it had grain in it (conventional JD) Like Don says, if it falls thru you have a problem!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The chaff can and does fall through in the middle, as there is less straw there to hold it up. I would like to maybe deflect straw around and back underneath the tube a bit more. I would also like to deflect the chaff out of the sides of the tube some instead of blowing straight back. There is also some blowby up top on the chaff spreaders. Some of the chaff and air from the fans blow up and out on each outer side of the chaff spreader. Those pictures show a little longer and thicker straw than normal for here. I am cutting about 12 inches above the ground on good flat going.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Even if you could make a 45 that would put the lions share of the chaff on one side, I promise the cows would find it and wouldn’t complain about symmetrical distribution. Very cool setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts