The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switched from a jd s780 to a new 8700tt this year after demoing a narrow body the previous year. On this combine I bought the premium residue management chopper/spreader. One thing Im a little confused about is that when I kick the machine on the chaff spreaders move so they shoot the chaff into the radial spreaders to be spread with the straw. But when the threshing system is not on the chaff spreaders look like they will shoot it out to the sides. I get that when you spread both straw and chaff together it helps throw that chaff against wind but I would like to keep them separate at times. Also it was not shooting the chaff perfectly into the radial spreaders so I was leaving a trail of chaff where it would just hit the back of the chopper and fall to the ground. Can I stop the chaff spreaders from moving so they shoot the chaff to the sides and not into the radial spreaders? Also what adjustments can I make so that the chaff actually makes it into the radial spreaders?

·
Registered
53 Posts
On a Lexion 780 I just got the hydraulic blanking end caps and installed them at the rams that actuate the chaff spinners…. Installed them while facing out and works fine, doesn’t effect anything else or throw a code.
That issue of leaving a pile of chaff in the centre has been around for a while…. Thought it would have been improved on the new series…. Easy fix tho.

·
Super Moderator
5,056 Posts
That issue of leaving a pile of chaff in the centre has been around for a while…
They have just floundered with that for years, I don’t get why they struggle so on something so simple.

The angle of that can be be changed by bolt position on the arms that attach to the upper body, may help direct chaff to chopper.
I had one that was in two different holes once.

·
Registered
264 Posts
They have just floundered with that for years, I don’t get why they struggle so on something so simple.

The angle of that can be be changed by bolt position on the arms that attach to the upper body, may help direct chaff to chopper.
I had one that was in two different holes once.
So are you letting the chaff spreader throw straight back into the chopper and not having the the windrow of chaff in the middle , Don ?

·
Super Moderator
5,056 Posts
So are you letting the chaff spreader throw straight back into the chopper and not having the the windrow of chaff in the middle , Don ?
Correct, I eventually got the blower lined up so it all went into the chopper.

Conversely, to plumb it so it always spreads to the sides works well, that is the position that is automatically selected when dropping straw.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes Don had always thought it was simply the chaff firing back too low and partially hitting the intake of the power spreader…. Even though fixing the chaff spreader outwards works, your solution would be preferable on account of making losses easier to assess because we need to have a second person to manually place the drop pan in the chaff stream when doing specialty crop where sieve loss rather than rotor loss needs to checked….. with the chaff being spread through the power spreader the drop pan could be released from under the combine as usual.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Need to look at it for a memory jogger but that will be a couple of days, sorry.
If you can snap some pics of how you lined it up better I'd appreciate it.

I thought there would be a adjustment specifically for the chaff spreaders that I could adjust in the cab on the go. That way I could decide their own speed and spread direction.

·
Super Moderator
5,056 Posts
Electrical wiring Gas Ceiling Automotive exterior Engineering

That arm with the wire running over it is in the front hole making the chaff blower the most up or steep into the chopper.
Green Automotive tire Hood Sleeve Bumper

I slightly bent these tins on the chutes do direct proper flow, it takes very little adjustment.
Automotive tire Hood Grille Bumper Vehicle

The middle material splitter.
WARNING!
I have seen conditions where NOT running the chaff through the radial spreader will cause extremely tough material to hang up at that splitter plugging the chopper, actually needs the flow from the chaff blower to clean it off.

It gets weirder, I also could not cut the straw too fine even with the chaff blower directing into it, could not run the straw dam.

Quite the conditions granted, standing green, damp straw, wash your hands with it, yet barley close enough.
Never seen the conditions like it before or since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 165501

That arm with the wire running over it is in the front hole making the chaff blower the most up or steep into the chopper.
View attachment 165502

I slightly bent these tins on the chutes do direct proper flow, it takes very little adjustment.
View attachment 165503

The middle material splitter.
WARNING!
I have seen conditions where NOT running the chaff through the radial spreader will cause extremely tough material to hang up at that splitter plugging the chopper, actually needs the flow from the chaff blower to clean it off.

It gets weirder, I also could not cut the straw too fine even with the chaff blower directing into it, could not run the straw dam.

Quite the conditions granted, standing green, damp straw, wash your hands with it, yet barley close enough.
Never seen the conditions like it before or since.
Thank you! I don't think I will ever have conditions damp enough to be a issue for material flow unless I get into something super weedy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts