The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a challenger mt875b with c18 acert engine. I bought 5 reman injectors ,i want to replace it because it already has 7,000 hours in it. But te manufacturer said: “The injectors do not have the trim code because they are manually calibrated within a maximum difference of 1% in the fuel delivery. Caterpillar provides the trim code because their injectors are not manually calibrated. We sold 100+ injectors of this family with no returns from the market.” and “ you need to tell your mechanic to do the same job he does on OEM injectors except for two things: 1) Leave the old trim codes in the ECM 2) He does not have to do the injectors calibration in the ECM.“. I really don't have to change the original Trim codes? it is possible?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
It is "possible". I would go with OEM injectors and do it properly. They will likely sell you a wonderful way to increase your horse power and blow black smoke. Then tell you it is safe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is "possible". I would go with OEM injectors and do it properly. They will likely sell you a wonderful way to increase your horse power and blow black smoke. Then tell you it is safe.
I'm sorry but I do not understand exactly... my english is not good. but I think it was a little irony 😀

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Well that makes sense. Yeah you can just change them out without messing with the trim codes. It’s more for idle quality than anything.
If you change them out and your not happy with the idle then make all the trim codes the same. This would be the case for an unlucky match where a higher flowing injector lined up with a higher quantity trim code.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that makes sense. Yeah you can just change them out without messing with the trim codes. It’s more for idle quality than anything.
If you change them out and your not happy with the idle then make all the trim codes the same. This would be the case for an unlucky match where a higher flowing injector lined up with a higher quantity trim code.
Ok. thank you very much for the information! It helps me sleep better at night... in Hungary the prices are terrible. 1 original cat reman injector (with trim code cd) cost here about 1400 USD. I ordered non original reman injectors from Italy for 400 USD. I wonted to order from USA but I didn't want to pay tax..

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
It is more than idle quality. I have seen piston with holes burnt in them when trim files are not correct. That would be the extreme. Usually it works ok, not always.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
There’s no set of calibrated injectors that burnt holes in pistons just from a trim file. Even the fattest trim MIGHT get you 10hp per hole. That’s not piston melting difference. There was some other issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There’s no set of calibrated injectors that burnt holes in pistons just from a trim file. Even the fattest trim MIGHT get you 10hp per hole. That’s not piston melting difference. There was some other issue.
damn it. I hesitated.. i think i send the injectors back. the risk is too great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wrote to several injector reman companies.all wrote that there is no trim code, and I do not need the codes.it will work well. I was very confused..🤔

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Your engine. I also buy OEM filters and only oils approved for use by the OEM. Everyone will say their is recommend for use with OEM even when not approved. My 12 years experience in the diesel industry with CAT and Deere has taught me a few things. Then another 11 years working on my own.
There likely was other issues, maybe even a tune on top of the reman injectors. If they had used proper trim files I am certain the piston would not have burnt up.

I am not spending the time and money to update my cummins insite software to install trim files on the injectors I am installing in my sprayer. 6.7 cummins. It had a tuner before I purchased it. That severely reduced the life of the old injectors. I am also very hesitant about tuners for many reasons also. They all will all recommend the tuners also. How else do they sell their products?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts