The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I was looking online at challenger track machines, so in the specs it shows the MT700E is running a 7 cylinder engine? And the MT800E and MT900E is running a 12 cylinder? Just thought I'd see if that's what they were running or am I not seeing the engine specs correctly

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
The V12 was in a two track unit at AG Days in Brandon. I meant to stop back after glancing it over to take some engine photos but I forgot. The engine is dressed with lots of equipment, you can't see much of the castings just walking by. I hope someone has some shots or some company images they can post.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
When I walked by the right side, one large exhaust turbine was visible. In this photo, from the AGCO online brochure, the left side shows another. I'm not sure if that means anything, but earlier photos of pre prototypes appeared to be using just two single stage turbos.

This older image below shows a very unique design in the exhaust manifolds. It's hard to tell if it was used in production because of the added heat shielding material. The two individual stingers in each manifold appear to randomly pick up cylinders along the bank based on firing order. This may keep the exhaust pulses evenly timed in the exhaust system on the whole.

As someone who owns a twin turbo inline six cylinder without this feature, I can tell you that the exhaust note can be oddball sounding without making this effort.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It uses Dual Series Turbos. It's tough to word to understand, but just think of the engine as two 6 cylinders that each have their own set of series/compounded turbos. In the photo above you see the atmosphere charger on top of the engine and the high pressure charger is behind the engine.

The big oval shaped thing appears to be a W2A between the stages. Agco is doing that on the 8.4 as well.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Looks like an after cooler of sorts but I'm not sure, this thing looks like she is top of the line and must be capable of making some insane power!
I'm guessing it has one **** of a flat torque curve that peaks early. Quiet smooth power is what I predict. The Vee motors tend to be very responsive so it should be nice in varying conditions. Guessing it will be fuel efficient as well. I like the Modular design.

What does this device do?
Water 2 Air intercooler.

Most of your equipment over 100hp now has an Air to Air intercooler/aftercooler. Boost from turbo goes through it and the air coming in through grille cools it.

Water version does the same thing in a tiny footprint because it uses a coolant instead. Some just use the engine coolant, others use their own cooling system. The Powerstrokes use them. ACERT Cat motors have one as well. Some of the higher output 8.3 Cummins engines also used one on the intake manifold. I know the larger 8900 Magnums had them as did the early Agco DT's.

If you follow tractor pulling you may hear about the "iceboxes". The Icebox holds icewater for running through the W2A. Its pretty impressive how many hundreds of degrees you can cool the air in as little as a 6" core. Most systems on pullers are running 50-200gpm pump setups and have no troubles melting 40lbs of ice in a pass.

The Agco V12 is a modular engine utilizing the parts from the 8.4L inline 6 thats been very popular and reliable. Obviously not everything is modular, but many parts are. The 8.4 also uses a compounded turbo setup with a W2A between the stages to meet Tier 4 Final. The V12 from the looks of it essentially has this system x2.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
To be best then, it should at least be supplied directly at the coolant pump and returned to the thermostat housing for a practical continuous use engine?
You got it, when I biult my chevy 4BT I pondered that system as it would have been easier untill I came up with the place to biuld the intercooler, I came up with a strange desighn where the inlet outlet is beteen the frame rails, so it is set up in a U shape so the air goes up one side around the top and down the other side

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It is a EGR cooler, on the t4f engines Agco is using DEF and cooled EGR, the second turbo pumps the EGR air through the cooler and back into the engine. The second pumps clean air back into the engine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is a EGR cooler, on the t4f engines Agco is using DEF and cooled EGR, the second turbo pumps the EGR air through the cooler and back into the engine. The second pumps clean air back into the engine.
No it is not, it is an iCAC, interstage charge air cooler. Cools the charge air between the turbos exactly how it has been described already in this thread. The EGR cooler is in the V and looks like any other EGR cooler on the market.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
No it is not, it is an iCAC, interstage charge air cooler. Cools the charge air between the turbos exactly how it has been described already in this thread. The EGR cooler is in the V and looks like any other EGR cooler on the market.
I hope you know this for certain and didn't just read the ICAC acronym on the Internet somewhere.

It could be an Integral Clean A**wipe Canister, right?

If it isn't, I'm sure it will forever be refered to by its nickname.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.