The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently thinking about purchasing a new MT975E. Our local AgWest dealer has had a few sitting on the lot since 2018. They seem to be a tough sell since the switch from Caterpillar to the Sisu engine. We would be trading our MT965C which has been almost trouble free. The front engine cover has cracked twice since purchased new in 2012 and seems to be a common problem on the C18 when used in that tractor. Both times were covered by warranty. Since then we've purchased a new air drill and are pushing the limits of both HP and hydraulic capacity of our C series. Is there anyone out there with experience running the Sisu V-12 16.8 litre engine?

Any kind of feedback is welcome, the switch from what we think is a bullet proof Cat engine to an unproven Sisu is daunting.

A quadtrack is also on the table for consideration, again we have reservations about its powerplant, both the engine and transmission.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Crazy we have 2 cracked front covers as well! These are 2010’s so I doubt there’s warranty! And it definitely must be an issue.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Have nothing good or bad to say about the Sisu V12. What was Agco thinking when they dropped a great 18 liter engine for a total unknown???

·
Registered
228 Posts
Don't do it. We had an 18 965E. Tractor caused us 9 full days of downtime during seeding.

Arguably cost us more than it was worth when our late seeded canola froze.

AgWest did everything they could to try and get us going, including bringing a 80hr 875E. It left on a winch truck.

Went to a Versatile 610DT and it was night and day better

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
What on earth took 9 days to fix and what happened to the 875?

I don’t have any experience with the Sisu but it’s an absolute cluster **** under the hood compared to that clean inline C18

·
Registered
16 Posts

I don’t have any experience with the Sisu but it’s an absolute cluster **** under the hood compared to that clean inline C18
They have 12 cylinders, 4 turbos and 2 engine controllers. Not much room for anything else

·
Registered
460 Posts
The advice from our Challenger tech was run the C18 as long as your can. The Sisu would be disappointing. Sounds like they also undersized there air filter for really dusty conditions. We also have a 620 quad and if the C18 is lacking power nothing else is going to make you happy.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The advice from our Challenger tech was run the C18 as long as your can. The Sisu would be disappointing. Sounds like they also undersized there air filter for really dusty conditions. We also have a 620 quad and if the C18 is lacking power nothing else is going to make you happy.
Thats discouraging. If we were able to upgrade our hydraulic pump to 85 gpm and already had two 3/4" remotes, we wouldn't be thinking of trading. With some programming to get up to 600 hp and a new set of tires all around we'd have a superior to the "E" series tractor without a question. No emissions and no Sisu V12 sounds fantastic to me.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't do it. We had an 18 965E. Tractor caused us 9 full days of downtime during seeding.

Arguably cost us more than it was worth when our late seeded canola froze.

AgWest did everything they could to try and get us going, including bringing a 80hr 875E. It left on a winch truck.

Went to a Versatile 610DT and it was night and day better
What were the issues? Emissions, electrical?

Our dealer is formerly Toromont and pretty good for support, although now that they’ve become AgWest with the additional product lines I feel that they’re stretched thin now. They used to be mainly 2 track Challengers and 4wd’s along with the Lexion combine line and their product support couldn’t be beaten. Now that they’re watered down with an entire AgCo line-up they’re not quite as good. It was a mistake to include Rogator, Terragator, Fendt, and MF all under one roof.

·
Registered
228 Posts

9 non consecutive days. 875E left with wiring harness issues which apparently they needed to remove engine and cab for

·
Registered
228 Posts
What were the issues? Emissions, electrical?

Our dealer is formerly Toromont and pretty good for support, although now that they’ve become AgWest with the additional product lines I feel that they’re stretched thin now. They used to be mainly 2 track Challengers and 4wd’s along with the Lexion combine line and their product support couldn’t be beaten. Now that they’re watered down with an entire AgCo line-up they’re not quite as good. It was a mistake to include Rogator, Terragator, Fendt, and MF all under one roof.
Hydraulic, electrical, steering, fuel. But more than anything it was software and bad code to run that engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats discouraging. If we were able to upgrade our hydraulic pump to 85 gpm and already had two 3/4" remotes, we wouldn't be thinking of trading. With some programming to get up to 600 hp and a new set of tires all around we'd have a superior to the "E" series tractor without a question. No emissions and no Sisu V12 sounds fantastic to me.
I have a MT 965 and put an extra 45gpm pump on to the transmision where the PTO unit would drive from and have 3/4 outlets to run air cart fans ,works great and cost under 5k,ill send you some pics if your interested ,still have the drawing for adpter plate and drive coupling

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’d be interested in getting the pics and info on your pump setup, we’ve got a 945c that has the small 44gpm pump that needs more gpm

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I’d like to see it too!
In theory a guy should be able to piecemeal the parts to do the 85gal that the E’s have. Just likely cost a fortune.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
This is a novel way of doing something similar on a vintage Versatile with a PTO option. It should work on the 60 & 70 series John Deere’s as well. This one was installed to run a televeyor feeding a large auger.

556A46B4-AA67-4C46-A76D-2FE336CD3FB0.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
9 non consecutive days. 875E left with wiring harness issues which apparently they needed to remove engine and cab for
Thanks for working the bugs out for the rest of us. My 865E was updated before it ever gave me trouble and has run 2300 hours with absolutely zero issues.

I agree the C18(I have one of those too) looks way better under the hood, but the Sisu has good torque as well and is much quieter in the cab.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts