The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
As the headline says, has anyone here tried changing the potentiometer that shows the position of the adjustable sieves?
I think ours is broken and a new actuator is pricey.
Where did you in that case find the potentiometer. And was it hard to do?
We’re looking a a few weeks of downtime soon, after we’re done with wheat. Since the barley and oats isn’t quite ready yet. Would be nice to try and fix that problem then.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pretty sure the potentiometer is inside the actuator, and more than likely you problem is a bad wire coming from actuator. I’ve being having problems on my case 8120, alarm kept going off that sieve was out of position, changed actuator, didn’t fix problem. Took wires out of loom, looking for a break, but couldn’t find any, but i must have wiggled the bad wire, as alarm hasn’t gone off yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The potentiometer is a wire wound potentiometer. Likely a 10 turn turn only guessing. You would have measure the total resistance of the potentiometer on a good actuator. They come in different values. We had one where there was a dead spot about half way thru the turns. Likely that area had a piece of dirt when the wiper went over it lost contact. Cleaned it up with WD40 and turned it back and forth and corrected it. If you do a google search "wire wound potentiometer" you can find sources to buy or pictures of how they look.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Check out this thread, I believe the new holland have the same wiring problems as the Case. 7230 Sieves Opening and Closing on Their Own
You can diagnose if it’s a wire by going to Diagnostics<settings<parameter<sieves, group<upper or lower sieve position whichever one is acting up, then graph. If you engage separator the line should stay steady, when you adjust position the voltage should increase or decrease depending on which way you go. If the line is inconsistent you can shut down the machine then go back into the graph with the engine off and have someone wiggle the wire harness down its length while you watch the graph. When the graph moves they have hit the spot that is bad, cut open the harness and repair. Actuators rarely go bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts