The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got tips on changing knives on these heads, I have seen some heads list a measurement for when the rolls are off or a tool that slides over one knife to the next as a gauge but I can't find anything on these heads, just seems there must be a better way than guess and check. And does anyone know how much play in the gearbox to roll coupler is normal? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just changed mine on my 843 but I had 1000 series updates to it so I had to use the 1000 series knives. I took off the deck plates as I was replacing them. this allowed access to the bolts from the top. much easier than from the bottom. i used a shim that was close to thickness of the desired gap to set the knives.

hth

Duane

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I turn one roller up and the other down I have 1/16'' give or take a couple thousands between the knives, some of that I'm sure is gear box play, don't seem like much but wondering if you guys would recommend switching the drive couplers, I already have all the knife rolls off because I am replacing the water pump bearings, I think the coupler is relatively inexpensive. I'm not a corn head guru living in spring wheat country so thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
That sounds about what our head is like for play in the couplers, it has a far number of acres through it judging by wear but since we got it used I really can't say how many.

Not sure of any spec for that coupler but you can hear them from in the cab while the head is running if they are getting very bad... Had one knife roll sound like it was knocking a couple years back and changed the whole roller front mount and all minus the knives. Since it was just the one roll I put it in place and checked each knife gap that way but would suck doing a whole head like that. Wonder if any of the CIH dealers have a special trick to doing them?

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
only called the dealer I bought it from and they claimed to adjust them with a business card at there closest point according to the book but I got the impression they never opened a book

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.