The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a versatile 900 for a cheap work horse until i can afford something better, what problems do they typically have, what should i look at ? Asking price is $5000 and it has a decent set of tires, I'm looking to pull my 24' field cultivator and 18 shank chisel

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The price is pretty nice. You will look long and hard to find horsepower even at twice the price.

It does have a v8 diesel. You will find many opinions here on the forum about that engine, so do your reading. At the least you will know where to look.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shifting in those old girls had some tricks to it, eaton duffs were bullet proof. Planetaries and axles need to be switched from one side to another to get the most life out of them. All in all very tough tractors and simple to work on.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Its 5000$ guys, you can't get a half assed auto steer for that. If it is in running condition it only has to run a little while to pay for itself, **** put a good radio in it and it will be awesome, he has nothing to loose as it has a salvage value equivalent to what he is going to pay for it, go get it and good luck to you plowboy as the worst that could happen is you will need a 2# hammer to get it out of gear

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
If you had to do an engine swap you could go with a smaller block like a 5.9 or older 466 and still have a decent tractor without huge frame mods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i own it, have a truck lined up to get it at the end of the month, rough wasnt the word for the cab but hey its a $5000 250 horse tractor . A used truck seat outta the dumpster at work and a radio we'll be golden. Thanks again-andy

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I would do it all with your 4430 again.. You have been able to do it, I would never buy an older tractor with a V8, unless your like some of these guys that can do the swap in their sleep..

Look for more of the newer stiegers.. Like a Kt251, they are much better tractors for the 10k price range. I personally am not happy our farm did not purchase a recent 8650 Deere with a kinze repower out of Illinois....

Late post... Well congrats.. If it makes it one year your money ahead..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.