The Combine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reading through the cooperator ,there is a growing rate of resistance , im wondering if any producers who regularly burn stubble are seeing a problem , or is the fire helping , we notice a big difference , in weed seed count ,just on the fire breaks , we dont yet have any tolerance problems , ?(hope to keep it that way)

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I am runing into broadleaf resistance, actually making the switches back to older chemistry, conventional stuff.
As far as what your running into.. Its all different.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had a field of barley tat was hailed out last year right before harvest. There was a fair amount of regrowth before winter. This spring I decided to crop it this year normally only crop ever other year there was nothing growing this spring .the ground was compleatly canopied so nothing was even trying to grow. to was super thick last year cr was fairly decent plus all the volunteer regrowth barley. I decided to burn it so I could seed it without working the ground. I was worried about weeds or possible even more barley there were still tons of heads on top of ground. I was surprised how extremely happy how clean it was the fire definitly burnet the barley heads that were still viable . I took some heads before I burnt the field and they still sprouted fairly well....so in this one case burning did help I think..

·
Registered
116 Posts
use of fire and cem has reduced our weed seed count to almost nothing. we had some resistant rye grass and since we moved this way we can hardly see any weeds now. massive diffrance

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Have been windrow burning for years and has worked really well for us. We just shift the windrows across every year to stop nutrient consentration since with auto steer could keep putting in same place every year.

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Had a local guy breaking ground here and hit a rock and started a fire. It was on native grass and after the fire it was kochia and other broadleaf weeds from one end of the burn to the other. The place where he had sprayed but wasn't burned was still quite clean. I would imagine intensity of heat makes a big difference. Probably another way to cause a species shift in weed spectrum as some weeds will have adapted to survive higher temperatures than others.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yes, I would agree Andy.

If you use one-pass zero-til, you will have a certain weed spectrum.
If you use tillage (fall/spring), you will have a different weed spectrum.
If you use fire, you will have a different weed spectrum again.

There isn't a single system out there that will get rid of ALL the weeds EVERY year! Otherwise, none of us would be using herbicides at all!

Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts