The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running pre emerge corn herbicide lumax for many years. In our soybeans broadleaf control is a non issue due to planting conventional soybeans.

I am looking at spraying atrazine pre with fertilizer followed by roundup at 18-24 inches tall with fertilizer program.
If I need to I can run roundup with the first pass.

I have sandy soil so foxtails are a consistent issue.
The timing of the second pass of chemical can and likely will be adjusted to weed pressure.

Has anyone done something similar and what do you think? Its cheaper, but I have a two pass fertilizer program last year and I will be covering the acres anyways.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That is a good option, but I think you might throw in something like "warrant" (acitochlor) with the atrex. it should help with grass but would be cheaper than the Dual II mag. that is in the Lumax, but warrant is a (15) and Dual is a (15) same family of chem, but different pathway, so it might get some of the resistant foxtail....you should check, but I think you can put warrant on post with roundup, to extend the residual window......

Grass kills yield, so it is important not to get caught by it!

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Used to run Harness Xtra 5.6L pre followed by 22 oz weathermax, never had an issue. Replaced the weathermax with Impact to break resistant weeds showing up in soybeans. Tried flat atz on a few acres as a test several years ago followed by a post and wasn't satisfied.

What are you using for bean pres? Fighting resistant waterhemp. Have tried sonic, valor, enlite. Going to throw out full rate of enlite on soybean acres in 2015 going to seed corn in 2016, soybean acres going to commercial corn in 2016 get full rate enlite spiked with 1 ounce of valor. Coming back across everything with roundup, have cobra as a rescue mission. Several use flexstar gt as post but I'm concerned with residual carry over of that product.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Warrent.. Not labeled for pre emerge.... I have also concern about cheap dual.. Can be harmful to corn.
maybe harmful to corn? maybe, it is a grass, but if you run it post with the r-up, it is less than 1/2 the price of Dual II mag. and is labeled to do so, then you have some residual grass herb out there for when the corn is taller.......I agree that Dual is the best! I never liked the "cheap" Duals either, but have found that since I haven't used them in so long, they are very effective again, but I try to only use them once every 3 or 4 years, and I still prefer Dual!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.