The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone or know of anyone that has chipped the new 9870 or the 9770 John Deere combines? If so who can a guy talk to. TIA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much horsepower have you gained by doing so and what kind of $'s are you talking about. And is the chip universal between the two or is there two seperate modules for the different models?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't know much about the chips themselves, but I've heard good things about this parts supplier & they give prices. The chips are engine size specific. A lot more expensive for the 9870 chip. I don't know anyone that has chipped their combine, but I know a few that have done their 4wd's & they were very happy w/ the results. FYI, it voids the warranty.

http://www.shoupparts.com/catalog/view.c....&FolderID=97360

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
The machines use different modules , both cost $1695.
will give you up to 30% on hp and torque and up to 20% savings on fuel.
I can sell you a less expensive box for the 9 litre but have a few problems getting the full 30%
without throwing codes.

Amax

·
Registered
211 Posts
Have had good luck with ADS modules, I think the same as amax sells. You can try the cheaper box on 70 series but I doubt that it will work very well. I have been putting part # JD2800 on 70 series 9 litre engines and it has been working very well. 60 series will be fine with cheaper box. JD2800 will also fit on 60 series. Had one apllication that reported up to 3 gal./hr. drop in fuel use with JD2800 box on 9660 STS and it really made a new machine out of it as far as power goes also. Have also had good results with ADS modules for 12.5 and 13.5 JD engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We chipped one of our 9670 combines because we felt it was lacking power compared to the other ones especially in the hills. We bought ours through the dealer and was told it does not void our warranty, there are ways around it.. worked good overall especially helped when picking good corn in hills.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the "dishonesty" you are refering to was not done by us. we told our guy that it was lacking power and he said here ya go, and we asked about voiding the warranty and he said not to worry about it.. in my opinion if two other identical combines run great and one doesnt thats john deere's fault anyway. if a 600 dollar chip is considered not playing by the rules than forgive me pretty sure that doesnt put me in the dishonest farmer category.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thats what warranty is for and trade them off every year... and our dealership sold upwards of 60 new combines this year.. must be pretty honest..there are a lot bigger issues with combines i doubt adding a little horsepower is going to blow a motor, its not like we were making the worlds first pulling combine, we simply wanted to add a little horsepower. and the dealer did everything they could to figure it out, but as everyone knows, every motor doesnt put out the same amount of horsepower ive seen a stock 8400 dyno'd over 300 hp.. it was simply just a weak motor..

·
Registered
961 Posts
If your dealer is willing to cover your warranty even after selling you the chip and knowing what you have, good. At least they're trying to help instead of just ignoring you. We had a shop guy do the same thing on a 8300 a few years back. 3000 hrs later its still runnin great

·
Registered
961 Posts
dont know if you were talkin to me or nwmissouri but anyhow....yes, we could tell a noticeable difference in power, but it wasnt like it was underpowered for a 83 in the first place, simply wanted a bit more. with the chip it would outpull an 84. but yes, i agree, if two identical machines are side by side and one is noticeably underpowered, i would have to think it needs something other than a little box. i understand not every engine is the same but most should be fairly close. just my .02

·
Registered
162 Posts
dont see why everyone is so afraid of chipping a motor- look at a 9530 vs 9630- same specs as far as axles, cooling system, oil capacity, yet the 9530 has 475 horse and the 9630 has 530 horse.

9670- 9.0L with 305 horse, 9770 9.0L with 360 horse. Both motors made the same, so why would it not be safe to put the 9670 up to 360?

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Questions have been received from the field concerning use of after market components or adjustments claiming horsepower gains.
As horsepower is increased, combine design limitations may be exceeded leading to rapid power train wear, possible engine over-speed or component failure.
Increasing horsepower, or altering any aspect of fuel and air delivery on emissions certified engines beyond factory rating, will cause emission levels beyond what is approved by United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Violations of EPA regulations may result in substantial fines to persons or companies committing such violations.
John Deere dealers are in violation of their dealer agreement if found to be altering power levels of John Deere equipment.
Combines operating at marketed power levels should not be changed for reasons previously listed. If power is determined to not be to specification, dealer should determine cause for horsepower variation and make repairs as needed.

Combine warranty is VOID if power level is changed from factory specifications.

CTS, 9660STS, 9560SH, 9550SH, 9750STS, 9650CTS, 9660, 9510SH, 9650STS, 9860STS, 9770STS, 9400, 9660WTS, 9560, 9610, 9760STS, 9500, CTS II, 9560STS, 9650, 9880STS, 9660CTS, 9670STS, 9450, 9500SH, 9410, 9870STS, 9510, 9550, 9570STS, 9600

·
Registered
26 Posts
More power/less fuel...... EPA regs are wiped out and engine runs more effeciently.

Warranty issues....... Chip doesn't leave imprint. Remove chip, no one can prove it was ever there.

Over working engine..... JD will put exact same engine in several models, but with fuel delivery only changed. When you chip the lower end model, your doing what the factory does, but charges alot more for. High end though will have larger radiators/ axels/ etc. You can safely chip low end hp, but not recommended to chip high end hp of same engine.

My 9200 4wd has exact same engine 12.5L as a 9300 4wd. I chipped it and power is increased 65hp. Instead of 4.7-5.2 can now run 5.5-6.1 with chisel (512) for 3 hours longer time period on tank of fuel. Temp is no different.

My dealer knows that everyone has them. Will not sell them. Doesn't want to know anything about it or see it when having equipment worked on during warranty period.

I purchased a TS Performance chip for less than $500.00 early this year.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey nwmissouri, where is this dealer that has the chips? It Sure would save me some time getting one if I need it in my '10 9670, and I think I probably will after I get the EGR bypassed. I'm pretty handy with wiring.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
we run chips on the combines and they run just lovely, do not let the guys on hear scare you, we all know that deere is underpowered, get the chip and be happy, or run your underpowered machine and be bitchy... two years and no problems

1 - 20 of 34 Posts