The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Kinda new, okay extremely new to the Red machines. I've been around Deere's all my farming life and am really thinking about trying to convince my dad that it might be time to switch. One big problem, my dad is one of those types that needs a first hand demo to be convinced but won't bring himself to run a Case. Now I wish that I could afford to get my hands on a 2388 or newer but with my budget I'm looking more into 1688 or 2188. We grow wheat, sunflowers, corn, and a little milo. Dad has a 9610 and a 9650sts. He has to park the STS in sunflowers due to fire hazards but, man I am addicted to the rotory style now that we've tried it. So the "natural" coice to me is to try a Case seeing as they aren't made of poly and I haven't seen too many posts concerning sunfloer fires on the Case combines; not saying they are immune just something I noticed. So what's the + and - of the 1688 and 2188? We harvest 1480ac of sunflowers, 1480ac, of corn/milo, and 2880ac of wheat. I plan to pay for the machine by helping custom cut the 'flowers and wheat.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I'm in a similar situation in the fact I'm trying to choose between a 1688 and a 2188. So here is what I know about the differences between the two.

2188 is more $

The 16xx has the old style cab (think 1970s design) the 21xx cab was bigger/better/groovier.

21xx has improved heavier built final drives, built to handle tank extensions. Although my local CaseIH service manager swears he has never repaired a 1688's drives because of over loading.

21xx has brakes that can actually stop the machine.

Horse-power is the same or similar. So capacity-wise they should be close. You will find a lot more information at these links;

http://www.toytractorshow.com/caseinternational_axial-flow_combines.htm
http://www.toytractorshow.com/case_international_2100_series.htm

I have run IH rotaries (1482s and a 1460) since I took over the farm and have never regretted owning one. They are simple machines to set, maintain and repair. And above all the local dealer is top notch at stocking parts.

Find out how far away and what the reputation of the closest CaseIH dealer is because you will be running a 15 year-old machine that will breakdown occasionally. And there is nothing more frustrating than sitting in an half-harvested field waiting for parts to be shipped from some distant depot.

Since I don't need the fancy cab, I'm leaning toward cheaping-out and buying a 1688. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I wish you all the best but just a point, there are lots of sunflowers cut where I am and all colors will spark up given the right conditions.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would go for the 2188 mainly for the cab convenience......centered with the machine, ALOT more room, better visablity and the controls are much more user friendly. I know it's more $$$$$$$$$ but don't think you will regret it. Just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Pretty risky move changing colors when dad is still running green. Better hope you get a good red one. You sure dad doesn't want to go in with you and update to a newer green one? Is he going to loose a combine operator if you get your own? Do you have your own separate farming operation from your dad?

·
Registered
590 Posts
A couple questions about your post, harkie.
Have you actually talked to your Dad and discussed it or just still "thinking" about talking to him?
I know how Dads (or anyone) can be when it comes to color, and it ain't just the green ones. If you discuss with him your thoughts, he may go for a change and consider trading the 9650 for a late 2388. If not, just say I am thinking about going in business for myself and buying a red rotor because they don't burn down as often. Then do it.

And when you do, go for for a 2388. The number of acres you guys are cutting can easily justify a newer, more modern and improved machine.

That is what I would do.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I agree if u can get into a 03 2388 would be great. Main reason is afx rotor. And there were other small changes that year. Good luck and u will be very happy with the 2388's. Great machines

·
Registered
961 Posts
like has been posted already, the 23's are good machines but dont expect much of a capacity increase and fires are gonna start in sunflowers no matter what you run.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts