The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On an '07 9760sts (2 machines, same farm, non-numerical serial #'s) they are losing chopper knives, and also the same "wings" on the discharge beater paddles. Where the grooves are cut into it they are losing the same section between groves on the combines on the right side of the beater and it's breaking chopper knives.

Sorry not more information it's all I have. Any ideas techs or what you've seen?

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Good grief, Alex. This can be a a lot more serious than initially thought. Honestly, DO check the balance, first. That alone, can be off and cause any of the above mentioned problems. Like Jojobean said, spinning by hand will tell you much. If the shaft/rotor is misaligned, that is also the cause of the balance issue, too. Check that as well.

The chopper issue is far more serious than merely its own self-destruction. Any misalignment can and will also cause overheated bearings and as you may have seen, some months ago, we lost one of our dear forum combines to this effect and the ensuing fire.

This whole issue with an incorrectly running chopper is also just hard on the rest of the entire separator, by causing such undue vibration.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:On an '07 9760sts (2 machines, same farm, non-numerical serial #'s) they are losing chopper knives, and also the same "wings" on the discharge beater paddles. Where the grooves are cut into it they are losing the same section between groves on the combines on the right side of the beater and it's breaking chopper knives.

I have a '07 9760STS and when the tech was out doing some update/warranty work, he mentioned some machines were having this problem. Our serial # was okay, but I thought this was a warranty issue on some machines. Wish I could remember more of the details.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These machines are still warrantied so no big deal, but just curious if it was common or something else.

The beater wings on the left side have 2 bolts every so often (3 pairs?) and the right side only has 2 sets on the out and the middles are not there or even holes for them so thinking it may be a structural issue on that side and possibly when they break taking out chopper knives. No big deal chopper being replaced via warranty...

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was caused by a defect in the design of the beater on right side thus causing failure and leading to broken chopper knives it can be done...

either way I don't have to deal with it, I just look at it when I walk by to my pickup at night.

·
Registered
192 Posts
we r having the same problem losing chopper knives due to bushing failure.a friend of ours,who is a service manager at a dealership told us they are working on trying to improve the bushings.he has direct connections with whoever makes them;they though they had it solved but apparently not yet. one of our machines had a chopper that was vibrating really bad with 110 hours and we couldn't find the problem.we noticed the chopper mounts were loose and got the whole chopper and mounting plates replaced on warranty.we get warranty on the bushing that we find and take in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts