The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone likes aftermarket chopper knives for a 740? I haven’t looked yet but my oem blades need replacing. Would need complete knives, bushings, bolts. They have been turned so both sides are rounded and wore.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I have Redekop on mine. I think they are "650" blades from Redekop, along with their bolts and bushings.

I finally replaced my stationary knives (after reversing them) with a newer knife designed for maybe pro or turbochop? They have small serrations in them and seem very sharp. I haven't used them yet, as we windrowed 99.9% of our wheat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did the Redekop compare price wise to dealer? Can you order them right from Redekop or do you need to go through a “dealer” of theirs?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I went through a "local" redekop dealer several hundred miles away. Parts came right to my door, and I would do it again.

Find a Dealer Redekop

The dealer in Kansas is who I went through. He is familiar with the product. He also travels to balance rotating objects, such as straw choppers.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
How did the Redekop compare price wise to dealer? Can you order them right from Redekop or do you need to go through a “dealer” of theirs?
Redekop blades seem same price direct as if through a dealer, which is slightly less than Claas hard surfaced blades. I found wear to be similar between the Redekop and Claas blades.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
Redekop blades seem same price direct as if through a dealer, which is slightly less than Claas hard surfaced blades. I found wear to be similar between the Redekop and Claas blades.
I just ordered some. They were 5 bucks a blade less, and that includes all the hardware. Once you have the hardware they're like 10 bucks a blade less. I was quoted 28 bucks for the Claas HD ones.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
I just ordered some. They were 5 bucks a blade less, and that includes all the hardware. Once you have the hardware they're like 10 bucks a blade less. I was quoted 28 bucks for the Claas HD ones.
$21.78 for the Claas HD ones at Agwest with a small discount on my quote, that's just for the blade(no bushing). $24.36 per blade with bushings and bolts. Close but I still bought Redekop.

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
$21.78 for the Claas HD ones at Agwest with a small discount on my quote, that's just for the blade(no bushing). $24.36 per blade with bushings and bolts. Close but I still bought Redekop.
I need to call agwest. Redekop quote was $2400 for the kit direct from Redekop, and then shipping. My dealer came to 2497, so basically the same with shipping.

Why is everything always so much more in Alberta. That’s like 30% more here for the Claas blades. Also surprised given that the price from Redekop was direct from their factory in Saskatoon.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Purchased the Claas HD blades in February 2018 for $19.08 CDN (no bolts or bushings) and then got a $1.00 US per blade rebate from Claas. So cost per blade was less then $18.00 CDN. Claas had a rebate program on a lot of parts last winter.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Purchased the Claas HD blades in February 2018 for $19.08 CDN (no bolts or bushings) and then got a $1.00 US per blade rebate from Claas. So cost per blade was less then $18.00 CDN. Claas had a rebate program on a lot of parts last winter.
If I had of known that I never would have switched the machine over...

Is that from a company store in SK?

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
Right now our local dealer has prices as good as that too. I was going to switch over a combine also until I heard the prices.
Well now I am upset that I didn't check again, the quote was a few months old. Good for them to get competitive on pricing though.:54:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
SB doesn’t build chopper knives but markets/retails Kondex knives.
Did SB's boronized chopper knife never get traction? I ran a test with some of Gerald's one fall about 2013 or 14 in my 590. They were boronized on one side only and the theory was that they would self sharpen. I did not see that to be the case but the hardening seemed viable if they were sharp to start with. I ran a complete Redekop prototype chopper in my 480 for 12 years that used the HA650C (carbide) swinging knife and was very impressed with all aspects of cut, spread and never plugged. The HA650 (C) was a little longer and heavier than what the 500 series had room to swing but with a little modification that bracket at the back of the chopper housing could be moved and then would work. When all you guys are changing knives are they worn out or are they just dull? I used to pull all the knives out every fall or even mid fall and inspect them, sharpen them with an angle grinder and then weigh them into groups of 260, 265, 270 grams I think was the units, and then you could mix and match balanced sets of blades and get a lot more wear out of the best of several sets. The Redekop spray weld carbide process makes a rough almost serrated edge that when sharpened is way more aggressive than when round and smooth. At $1500 a set you can make pretty good wages with your angle grinder and digital gram scale on a cold winter day! I still have that electronic scale from a grocery store that I would sell. A grain tester scale would work great too.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
Did SB's boronized chopper knife never get traction? I ran a test with some of Gerald's one fall about 2013 or 14 in my 590. They were boronized on one side only and the theory was that they would self sharpen. I did not see that to be the case but the hardening seemed viable if they were sharp to start with.
Since SB is marketing Kondex now I’ll guess your assumption is correct, traction lost on their own knive.
SB wouldn’t wish to market a product that isn’t performance or cost effective it seems, the beauty of being a comparatively small company where feedback is much closer than the big guys.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
Got a complete set of Prochop Kondex knives the other day as a proactive move on a new chopper.
Hope Claas didn’t change the knife design.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts