The Combine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Got a complete set of Prochop Kondex knives the other day as a proactive move on a new chopper.
Hope Claas didn’t change the knife design.
Does anyone have any experience with the kondex knives. I just had a look at them at the farm progress show and they look appealing and more aggressive than stock. Just not sure if they are worth the extra expense, $28.50 vs $22.23 for the claas hardened ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you guys are still looking for chopper knives... I have some really cheap ones. I bought some surplus from the factory in Omaha. I have 1300 of the part number 0353 195.0. These are the knives the Lexions have left the factory with for years. $6 USD per knife.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
I find the factory Claas knives are playdough, any little stone and they break a piece off and start vibrating the chopper. I will be switching to Redekop, which I'm already using on my Deere and are very durable.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I find the factory Claas knives are playdough, any little stone and they break a piece off and start vibrating the chopper. I will be switching to Redekop, which I'm already using on my Deere and are very durable.
And you can flip them so you get double the life where as with the winged knifes you can't and we don't need the winged knifes in the center,the tailboard does the spreading.And i don't quite believe when they say,well you still need winged knifes to keep the right air movement over the chaffers.

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the kondex knives.
Yes.
Ran a complete set in a Prochop (108 knives) 8800.
Great knives, the angled hardened areas actually get sharpened as the wear, they would vastly outlast on one side what old Claas knives would from both.
For the last couple ish of years Claas has an straight carbide edge both sides on their HD choppers but they lack the auto sharpen design.
So what you say, as Kondex sharpen you may not even need stationary knives in.
ALL chopper adjustments can be made from the cab on the new series, I played with knife position and straw dam as too fine a straw cut will not spread as wide.
So less power as knives wear and finer cut.
Weird actually.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I wonder if a person put little angled strips of hard surfacing on a normal knife if they could get them to wear the same as a kondex knife.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes.
Ran a complete set in a Prochop (108 knives) 8800.
Great knives, the angled hardened areas actually get sharpened as the wear, they would vastly outlast on one side what old Claas knives would from both.
For the last couple ish of years Claas has an straight carbide edge both sides on their HD choppers but they lack the auto sharpen design.
So what you say, as Kondex sharpen you may not even need stationary knives in.
ALL chopper adjustments can be made from the cab on the new series, I played with knife position and straw dam as too fine a straw cut will not spread as wide.
So less power as knives wear and finer cut.
Weird actually.
I did 1,200 acres of soybeans this fall and almost never had the counter knives engaged. I had them engaged for the first few acres this fall and took them back out as it was chopping too much... just turning it to dust. As a result, the residue didn't spread... at all. It was like I was trying to windrow the residue. I would say you are right in not needing the counter knives in some crops. I even did some beans on low chopper speed. This worked well until the straw got really dry... then I had to go back to high speed. That being said... I never used the counter knives.

Anybody else experimented with the chopper like this?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Claas mild steel blades 3531950 are now automatically substituted to carbide blades 18239990 for $9.35 apiece. With that price it hardly pays to look into aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
The Claas mild steel blades 3531950 are now automatically substituted to carbide blades 18239990 for $9.35 apiece. With that price it hardly pays to look into aftermarket.
Unless they last longer and hold their edge better. Two things pretty low on my wish list are changing chopper knives and unplugging the chopper!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
But the carbide blades still suck . . .
They do in certain conditions. Last two years we didn’t have any trouble with chopper plugging. 5500 acres on the one side. Had to change part way through the year the prior year and got 4800 on the other side this year.

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
That full strip one side carbide Claas knife is never as sharp nor is self sharpening nor have the 10 sharp edges per side the Kondex setup has.
Other than that it’s perfect.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
They do in certain conditions. Last two years we didn’t have any trouble with chopper plugging. 5500 acres on the one side. Had to change part way through the year the prior year and got 4800 on the other side this year.
My complaint is knives actually breaking, Deere with Redekop & Claas with factory carbide knives, horrible conditions, dumping stone trap every hopper, knife bank pulled all the way out, Deere not a single problem and multiple broken Claas knives due to rock contact, Claas has to immediately stop and parts have to be replaced. Some days it was hard to keep the Claas ahead of the Deere acres wise because of stoppage. Don't get me started on the poor Claas feeder house slats.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
What is wrong with the slats? Yes, they can and will bend. I am ok with that as I feel they take the shock out of harming the chain as likely. I don't have the mid support ring on the feeder drum, to help prevent slat bending. I assume they would be less likely to bend with the mid-ring. Do you have that?

I understand that Deere and others have very robust slats, but doesn't that expose other items to damage, that are more expensive and time consuming to repair?

If you have slat and chopper knife issues, is it a header ingestion issue that could be remedied?

·
Registered
93 Posts
A Deere will never bend a feeder slat because if you put three extra pieces of straw through it plugs. Same clutch on a 8820 as a 790 basically.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
What is wrong with the slats? Yes, they can and will bend. I am ok with that as I feel they take the shock out of harming the chain as likely. I don't have the mid support ring on the feeder drum, to help prevent slat bending. I assume they would be less likely to bend with the mid-ring. Do you have that?

I understand that Deere and others have very robust slats, but doesn't that expose other items to damage, that are more expensive and time consuming to repair?

If you have slat and chopper knife issues, is it a header ingestion issue that could be remedied?
We have more rocks than most and had flat crop due to snow so it’s not the norm but it exposed the weaknesses. Deere feederhouse has been very trouble free for us with a extra strong custom built feederhouse clutch. The cast slats are original at 2000sep hours. My Claas at 600sep hours feels like I’ve replaced most of the slats. I do straighten some but when they twist I replace them so I don’t have chain issues down the road. I verified the Deere & Claas running macdon heads are the same knife angle with a digital tool. Between replacing feeder slats and chopper knives in these conditions Deere kicks Claas @Ss. Maybe Claas combines are only made for pretty standing crop.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Same clutch on a 8820 as a 790 basically.
You have no idea what your talking about, a Deere 8820 also 9600s are just slip plates that are compressed with one spring which you could adjust with washers.

Pretty much all S and STS models use a radial pin type with multiple sets of springs and pins that grip against the clutch body.

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
We have more rocks than most and had flat crop due to snow so it’s not the norm but it exposed the weaknesses. Deere feederhouse has been very trouble free for us with a extra strong custom built feederhouse clutch. The cast slats are original at 2000sep hours. My Claas at 600sep hours feels like I’ve replaced most of the slats. I do straighten some but when they twist I replace them so I don’t have chain issues down the road. I verified the Deere & Claas running macdon heads are the same knife angle with a digital tool. Between replacing feeder slats and chopper knives in these conditions Deere kicks Claas @Ss. Maybe Claas combines are only made for pretty standing crop.
My guess is that you aren't running your concave tight enough if you have stones getting past the stone trap. Should be a maximum of 10MM, especially when cutting in high risk conditions like this fall. I likely dumped 500 stones this fall out of the trap, but have not changed one chopper blade. Last field of canola(for neighbor), I was dumping stone trap twice per hopper. The slat benders are bigger rocks that should have been picked, I probably straightened a half dozen slats this year and one can never eliminate that entirely.

Just awful conditions though, once you learn how to keep that Claas running it will excel in such weather. Spread will widen out considerably if you can feed the beast, this year the header ability was limiting the combine way too often.:frown:

21 - 40 of 63 Posts