The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
After my first bent rotor I heard about the 10mm rule which helped greatly, still put small stones through and broke knives.

Doesn’t take a very big stone to bent a slat, judging from what I saw in my stone trap

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ran Deere combines since 1980 s Fromm 8820 9600 9750 9860 9870 690 so yea got a small idea what there made of I think the worst year was 32 accelerator belts and as many or more feeder slip clutches between 6 units this is second year we ran claas combines and the two shittiest condition harvests we had and not one burnt belt I don’t have bloody knuckles from fixing or blue nails employees are a lot more relaxed about 60 hours per combine less per year and that don’t factor in grain savings I hope the new x series Deere is better and would not shy away from one if there the next good big thing out there. Not married to a claas combine but holy **** a s series Deere ain’t even in same league after running these two seasons

·
Registered
307 Posts
A Deere will never bend a feeder slat because if you put three extra pieces of straw through it plugs. Same clutch on a 8820 as a 790 basically.
Now why would you make yourself look stupid and post something like that.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
Now why would you make yourself look stupid and post something like that.
Because obviously he has run both. Having done so myself in the same field there is a large difference of what you can put up the feeder house of a Claas compared to a Deere.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
After my first bent rotor I heard about the 10mm rule which helped greatly, still put small stones through and broke knives.

Doesn’t take a very big stone to bent a slat, judging from what I saw in my stone trap
I'm actually running Redekop knives last couple of years, never broke any just chipped some of them. Maybe the Claas ones are more prone to breaking?

At any rate the Kondex ones look like they are worth trying next year.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Claas mild steel blades 3531950 are now automatically substituted to carbide blades 18239990 for $9.35 apiece. With that price it hardly pays to look into aftermarket.
So maybe I made a too bold statement, though its nice to get this discussion going again and hearing more feedback. Redekop carbide knives are priced at $25.25, For that price I'd rather go with Kondex. Maybe I should look for a different Redekop dealer. I must say I have had no chopper issues besides slightly chipping the mild steel Claas blades.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Maybe the Claas ones are more prone to breaking?

Thats been my point all along, honestly id stick with Redekop.

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
With the biggest rock concert harvest ever, by far, I decided never to look inside my machine until harvest was over (not counting about 20 replaced feeder slats) as long as no strange vibrations showed up which didn’t.
While harvest only 98.5% over 100% of the worst is so inside torture extent will be known this year.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Been running Redekop knives last 4 seasons.
The last couple sets I put on the wear run life was drastically reduced to about 1500 acres before they needed flipping or changing. Not sure if this is harvest conditions (dust/dirt) this year or not, as the Redekop's in the past used to run double or triple that long. The straw load through them this year was very low as well, so I was suprised their life was so short.

May try the SB claw knives next, in a side by side trial.

Bridging choppers has been my biggest nemesis this past season. Dull knives make it worse.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
I thought chopper bridging was rectified, or are you running an older machine?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Does Claas feederhouse clutch ever kick out. Seems every larger rock either bends the slats or breaks the chain on my 760. Tested and it is not seized.

Shouldn’t the feederhouse clutch protect the chain?

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
Does Claas feederhouse clutch ever kick out. Seems every larger rock either bends the slats or breaks the chain on my 760. Tested and it is not seized.

Shouldn’t the feederhouse clutch protect the chain?
Yes on mine if the rock lines up with a feeder slat it usually throws the clutch. I just reverse a few inches and you can basically reach into the straw pile and come up with the rock sitting right at the transition from header to feeder house.

On my 2017 Pro-chop I have not had a chopper plug yet, but I do keep knives reasonably sharp. Definitely something changed from my 2015 Turbo-chop because I am certain it would have plugged under same conditions.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I thought chopper bridging was rectified, or are you running an older machine?
2014 year 780's. Bridged the choppers probably at least 10 times this last harvest. Was so f.....g annoying.

I hear improvements have been made in this area in the 2016 and newer machines.

The dark green combines running across the street were looking pretty good while we were sitting pulling out straw.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm actually running Redekop knives last couple of years, never broke any just chipped some of them. Maybe the Claas ones are more prone to breaking?

Is Kondex and Sunnybrook Straw Claw essentially the same part? I can buy Sunnybrook from my local dealer not sure about Kondex.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
Is Kondex and Sunnybrook Straw Claw essentially the same part? I can buy Sunnybrook from my local dealer not sure about Kondex.
I think I remember Don saying Sunnybrook was gonna be selling the kondex blades. Most likely the dealership is not aware of these yet because they are newer or they are choosing to not carry because it is direct competition for the Claas knives they are supposed to be selling. Could be different across borders too...

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
Sunnybrook markets Kondex knives, they do not not build any knives for choppers.
They come packaged in sets of 8 in a Kondex package.
For a Prochop anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
Yes, just be aware Turbochop and Prochop have different knives as well as a knife change from 14 to 15 model years.

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
Yes on mine if the rock lines up with a feeder slat it usually throws the clutch.
Not sure what you two mean with “throw the clutch”, if you mean slip the clutch, yes, if you mean auto shutoff, yes...eventually. Like 3+ seconds of beating the **** out of components.
No reason auto stop couldn’t do it in a millisecond, same thing if just plugged!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts